Nikon or pentax

My bad...yeah...Hoya sold the brand to Ricoh like two years ago....that was kind of a brain fart on my part. I knew Ricoh had bought them, but I was still envisioning the Hoya leadership group running Pentax. It's kind of nice to see the Japanese keep the name alive though, and not try and spin it into something new, the way Sony did with the Konica/Minolta brand.

As far as the Pentax full-frame...I think that might actually happen in 2016. I know they have developed a couple of FX-centric lens designs, like their upcoming 70-200, so they probably will get around to making a FF d-slr. I hope they do, just to keep the industry competing.

I always liked the Pentax MX...I owned an MX some years ago, and a system with 28,35,50,135, and 70-210 for it. I only had it long enough to "flip" it. My ex- had a Super Program for a decade or so. That was a nice camera.

I was selling photo/video good right about the time the AF revolution hit...Pentax was utterly flat-footed at the time, and so was Olympus...their SLR cameras were dreadfully behind...just AWFUL, compared to the Minolta Maxxum, Canon EOS, and Nikon lines. Pentax hit the IQ Zoom line pretty hard though, and we sold a TON of those 28-90mm zoom cameras, then 28-105's. Olympus had a very amazing compact zoom camera at the time.

Last edited:
I have never used Pentax, but I have Ricoh GR with Pentax/Ricoh digital engine, and I really like it. My first DSLR was Nikon, but now I would probably have gone for Pentax as well. Great value for money and I find its images classy. Can not find a better word.

Yep Pentax make good cameras and good value but I will be honest, I would stick with Nikon :)
I think Pentax making full frame is great but still limited comparing range of cameras from Canon and Nikon.
Never the less going FF today for camera maker is a smart move but I think mirrorless is probably important for the future if a maker want to stay in the game.

Yep Pentax make good cameras and good value but I will be honest, I would stick with Nikon :)
I think Pentax making full frame is great but still limited comparing range of cameras from Canon and Nikon.
Never the less going FF today for camera maker is a smart move but I think mirrorless is probably important for the future if a maker want to stay in the game.

Just look at the fact that new FF cameras can be purchased for what entry level crop sensor cameras cost way back when (10 years ago).

Just look at the fact that new FF cameras can be purchased for what entry level crop sensor cameras cost way back when (10 years ago).
Agreed, its great for photography fans :)
The more FF cameras out there the lower the prices will drop on these types of cameras.

Most reactions

Back