Nikon or Tamron

Very nice for an early effort!

And for the record: Viewing Coastal's photos to see the "potential" of the Tammy lens isn't really quite fair, as I still maintain that Kris could use a Cola bottle for a lens and still get incredible results!!
But yeah, that Tamron is an extremely nice piece of glass.

I suspect you'll be thrilled with your acquisition!

I agree, he is one talented individual when it comes to handling photo equipment. I think that just proves that the most expensive equipment is not required to capture outstanding images. And less expensive wins hands down.....when one cannot afford the expensive stuff.

And for the record: Viewing Coastal's photos to see the "potential" of the Tammy lens isn't really quite fair, as I still maintain that Kris could use a Cola bottle for a lens and still get incredible results!!

How far east in TN? I am in Crossville.

Knoxville, not too far from you. I have a son who goes to school out in Murfreesboro, so I cross the plateau from time to time!

Knoxville, not too far from you. I have a son who goes to school out in Murfreesboro, so I cross the plateau from time to time!

Great, if you ever have a few minutes to spare when you are coming through, give me a call and I will meet you at Cracker Barrel and buy you a cup of coffee.

Tamron 150-600 – Nikon D7100

The only alteration of this image was to resize to 2400x1600 and from NEF to JPEG. Considering it was taken by a rank armature using a camera and lens that are less than two months old with a total cost of less than $2k, I am not sure that 8 to 12K would result in 4 to 6 times more quality, at least for this shooter. Without Tamron making this lens available at an affordable price, I would never have this image. For the real potential of this lens, I would suggest looking at the images by Costalconn with the Tamron lens.

ƒ/6.3
600.0 mm
1/400
ISO Speed - 200
Metering Mode - Spot
Exposure Mode - Manual
White Balance - Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio - 1.33
Focal Length (35mm format) - 1200 mm
Scene Capture Type - Standard
Gain Control - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Soft
Approximate Focus Distance - 6.68

View attachment 94231

Very nice!

Nikon D3s - 500mm w/1.4 (700)shot at f5.6 - 1/1000 SOC 100% crop
i-MgzPqHs-L.jpg

Tamron 150-600 – Nikon D7100

The only alteration of this image was to resize to 2400x1600 and from NEF to JPEG. Considering it was taken by a rank armature using a camera and lens that are less than two months old with a total cost of less than $2k, I am not sure that 8 to 12K would result in 4 to 6 times more quality, at least for this shooter. Without Tamron making this lens available at an affordable price, I would never have this image. For the real potential of this lens, I would suggest looking at the images by Costalconn with the Tamron lens.

ƒ/6.3
600.0 mm
1/400
ISO Speed - 200
Metering Mode - Spot
Exposure Mode - Manual
White Balance - Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio - 1.33
Focal Length (35mm format) - 1200 mm
Scene Capture Type - Standard
Gain Control - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Soft
Approximate Focus Distance - 6.68

View attachment 94231

Very nice!

Great shot Michael, the Nikon 500 f/4 was a lens that I drooled over in the early nineties but could not convince myself to spend $3k or thereabouts to buy. No doubt the new ones are a joy to shoot.

I agree, he is one talented individual when it comes to handling photo equipment. I think that just proves that the most expensive equipment is not required to capture outstanding images. And less expensive wins hands down.....when one cannot afford the expensive stuff.
You are too kind! Like most of the normal world I just don't have gobs of money to throw at photography so I have learned how to maximize what I can afford.

i-MgzPqHs-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hmm wonder what this would have looked like on the D7100 with the Tamron? Could have shot it at F8 and 1/500th. Would have put more pixels on the snowy.. Do you know the approximate distance?

You are too kind! Like most of the normal world I just don't have gobs of money to throw at photography so I have learned how to maximize what I can afford.

i-MgzPqHs-L.jpg

Hmm wonder what this would have looked like on the D7100 with the Tamron? Could have shot it at F8 and 1/500th. Would have put more pixels on the snowy.. Do you know the approximate distance?[/QUOTE]

I did not mean to be kind Kris....just stating what I believe to be fact. After viewing thousands of images on Flickr, your bird photos excel no matter what equipment is used. BTW, what happened to your D800? I hope it is not a major problem. I have been watching the used ones....if, I can find something else to sell in order to finance. My lens are FF lens with the exception of the two DX so I would only need one additional lens if I migrate to FF. I am just not convinced that in my case I would gain that much over the D7100.

i-MgzPqHs-L.jpg

Hmm wonder what this would have looked like on the D7100 with the Tamron? Could have shot it at F8 and 1/500th. Would have put more pixels on the snowy.. Do you know the approximate distance?[/QUOTE]

Right around 150ft ft . Oh you could get the shot but not sure of sharpness

Well I didn't have the Tamron last year when the Snowies were here. Here is a kingfisher shot from the other day. Exif shows 68.1 meteres, so about 200 feet..
This is the full shot

100% viewable

download... DSC_0122-small

I think it holds up pretty well..

Last edited:
Well I didn't have the Tamron last year when the Snowies were here. Here is a kingfisher shot from the other day. Exif shows 68.1 meteres, so about 200 feet..
This is the full shot

100% viewable

download... DSC_0122-2

Very nice, the ISO must have been reasonably low.

This is the full shot

100% viewable

download... DSC_0122-2

Going to have to take your word on these because they wont load for me

I'm kind of happyish to hear Tamron and Nikon my be working together. Yesterday I bought a Tamron 90mm vc lens. I had kind of thought I'd only go Nikon but money talked.

I got that Tamron lens a few months ago it really is amazing, not only for macro but it makes really nice portraits. I studied for months going back and forwards between the Tamron, Sigma and Tokina and got to try them all the Tamron just felt so nice in the hand and as I already owned the 70 - 300 VC USD it helped my choice.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have :)

Most reactions

Back