Nikon photographers and what they think

--ares--

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently working on an economy project for school and part of the project is to find some way to "spice it up." To make it interesting. So I wanted opinions on Nikon, more specificity what kinds of products may be available in the future, more specifically near future. I am thinking 5-10 years. Both in the SLR market (bodies and lenses), but also the Point and shoot market.

Don't worry you aren't doing the project for me, I just wanted multiple opinions because I can't really foresee what exactly will happen. Maybe higher megapixels in everything, or sensors that perform at higher ISOs.

Hope this helps:

Nikon will provide 'better balance' of ISO and resolution
Tuesday, 23 February 2010 19:54 GMT

Future Nikon models will provide a better balance between resolution and high ISO image quality than in the recently launched D3S, according to Nobuaki Sasagaki, General Manager of the Marketing Department of Nikons Imaging Division, speaking in an exclusive interview with dpreview.com.

In the D3S, Nikon placed top priority on high ISO performance, Sasagaki told us, but there will be a 'better balance' in future cameras. Asked about how video will be integrated into future models, Sasagaki told us that Nikon is putting a lot of effort into reconciling still capture and video ergonomics in its DSLRs. In improving video integration, Mr Sasagaki wanted to make clear that Nikon will not sacrifice still image quality for the sake of a better video experience. He did hint, however, that Nikon is looking into ways of integrating video, as well as still image editing into its bundled software.

At present, according to Sasagki, Nikon regards video as a function that is of more use to users of lower-end cameras, but ultimately will be a standard function across Nikons entire DSLR range. He also told us that Nikon is set to expand its DSLR range in the near future, but would not be drawn on details, hinting only that the company has 'good news' on the way for its enthusiast DSLR customers.

He rejected suggestions that the other manufacturers mirrorless systems represent a threat to Nikons low-end DSLRs, and said instead that the new segment is 'an opportunity' for all manufacturers, not only Nikon. Asked whether Nikon plans to join this new segment of the market, Mr Sasagaki would only say that mirrorless cameras are 'one solution, but not the only solution.' In some categories of the market, Mr Sasagaki told us that he expects mirrorless cameras will become the norm, but not in all.

When asked whether the recently unveiled AF-S 16-35mm f/4 VR represents the first in a new line of smaller, more affordable fixed-aperture optics aimed at these very same users, Mr Sasagki would not discuss specifics, but told us 'if customers want it, we will provide.'

Nikon will provide 'better balance' of ISO and resolution: Digital Photography Review

The camera market is changing. Cell phone cameras are taking over a lot of the low-end compact camera duties, which is obvious now whenever you go to an area where lots of people are shooting photos; cell phone cameras have seriously cut into the low-end digital P&S market. Thom Hogan's web site Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide has a new article series on re-defining the camera. He's written a lot of guidebooks on Nikon products, and last month, he gave an in-person presentation to high-level executives at Nikon offices in Japan, and it is rumored that he is now doing some consulting work for them; he's publicly been advocating that they hire him for years. Maybe the new President of Nikon, who was installed last not too long ago, has listened, and will hire somebody to represent the North American market to the Japanese parent company's officials.

What's expected? I think more of the same, as well as something new. It's rumored there will be a new mirrorless interchangeable lens camera from Nikon this summer. Maybe they will also make a large-sensor (APS-C sized or so) compact camera with interchangeable lenses. Some people think that the $399 d-slr is not too far in the future. The micro 4/3 format caught on in Japan, but is not gaining a lot of traction elsewhere--I think because cell phone cameras are getting better, and compact cameras are pretty decent, and small,light d-slr options are available as well, and because it seems like the lens mount and existing lens collections are keeping people from "migrating" to new systems.

I used to work in the retail camera business, a long,long time ago, and I have seen how every so often, the camera companies need to "re-invent" the entire marketplace, so they can sell new stuff. I think a period like that, a transitional period, is coming soon. As soon as one company figures out what the next best thing is going to be, all the others will rush to try and copy it. That's the way the camera biz works, and it has for many decades; in the 1920's and 1930's there were multiple 4x5 sheet film cameras--now that genre is dead,dead,dead. For a while in the late 80's and early 1990's, 35mm 35-105mm zoom pocket cameras were the big seller; the days of the $2,500 d-slr are long gone now, and people are buying Nikon D40 and D3000's and the price point the mass of consumers really want is $599 now, or less. The profit margins are going down, so the companies need to figure out how to make money in the business, and growth looks dismal, according to Nikon's new CEO's comments made last month. It's a tough business.

Picking up on what Derrel was saying I imagine in the future "THE NAME" is going to survive. If it's a tough business then it has to promote it's name to equal great. Almost everybody buys an Apple product - Ipod, Ipad or I whatever - it's got the name for now, Dell had the name. Back in the 70's Minolta was a popular camera name almost as popular as Nikon, I don't see it around any more. If a product doesn't make money it will not be around. Where will Nikon be? I would imagine possible branding of it's name ... cell phones with a Nikon built in camera; anything photographic with Nikon on it. I actually thought about this as I was looking into the future ... what name will survive if companies go out of business ... I believe Nikon is one of those companies.

I said this in another thread, when I was looking for a DSLR I was looking at Pentax as well. My 19 YO son and I were talking and I told him I was interested in Pentax and he said 'why would you look at any other camera besides a Nikon' = branding!

This really made me laugh. Many people going pro probably would want a Nikon as their major camera and while I can see that they appear to be excellent cameras I'm definitely in the Pentax camp myself. The camera I am actively saving for is the K200. I really want that (or it's latest variant by then) for my first DSLR camera.

Nothing against Nikon, but this is the camera I'd pick over all others in the same range if I could. The specs are perfect for me and I've always heard such nice things about Pentax cameras from my teachers and from a friend who is a pro that I'm pretty much sold on getting myself one when I can.

I said this in another thread, when I was looking for a DSLR I was looking at Pentax as well. My 19 YO son and I were talking and I told him I was interested in Pentax and he said 'why would you look at any other camera besides a Nikon' = branding!

Since I don't get what this has to do with Nikon specifically, I'll answer anyway :)

And my answer is that I'm no prophet and the camera companies don't ask for my input so I have no idea what's coming next. But one thing we know for sure with the electronics industries is that they keep coming up with new stuff. Whether better or not is open to interpretation. They are also not adverse to kill another industry to sell you their stuff. In this case, the film photography industry.

Before I go any further, let me say that corporations do not care about the pros using their products except as advertisement potential (no matter how much those pros spend on equipment, it is next to nothing compared to what is spent by amateurs) and they sure as hell don't care about the artists and the art. What is that? Artists are always broke and nobody really know they even exist :lmao:

So, let's take a look at another industry that went through the same growing pains of the digital world: music. And, no, I don't intend to talk about the invented stars who can't sing or know anything about music. I'm just going to talk about the technical stuff.

Someone came up with the CD and we were told it was God's newest miracle. Does any one remember how we were told we could use those darn things as coasters and they would keep playing just fine? Well, have you tried it? It doesn't work any better than with my LPs.

So everybody ditched their LPs which was great for me. I bought more of them then than ever before :)

The industry also put out CD players that were better on average than the crap stereos most people owned and the deal was done. But those cost way too much to produce so that, soon enough, the quality of the players was such that a half way decent stereo sounded better. At least to the people who actually listen a tiny bit. That's when we started seeing recording studios going back to analog in some of their rooms. And now the vinyl sales are growing while the CD sales are struggling. What?

Well, yes, we have MP3s now. Another drop in quality even if they are free on the internet. Most music today is nothing more than background noise. How long before most photos out there are nothing than eye noise?

We've been told we are a visual society now, we react to images, and I always wonder what that actually means. I can't use my eyes any more today than I did yesterday. At least not that I know of. But one thing is for sure and that is that we are being trained to not look at images very long.

Among other things we are now also part of the video age and that means images that don't stay in front of your eyes long enough to actually be studied. How the hell are you ever going to decide what is a good image when you barely have time to look at it.

And if you don't get what I'm saying, look at most photographers websites. Slide shows. No time to really make up your mind about the quality.

Photography is most probably going to follow the pattern we saw with music.

Cheers.

Didn't know that! But if Minolta had a big brand recognition then the name may have survived. Quite a few companies have various brands under their parent corporation.

Back in the 70's Minolta was a popular camera name almost as popular as Nikon, I don't see it around any more.
That's because Minolta was purchased by Sony. ;)

Minolta was kind of like the Mazda of photography. A great brand that few people know about. And the ones that do make fun of it.

I was a Minolta user as a PJ and I was made fun of no end by the pros.

i personally would love to see a digital rangefinder from nikon lol. or maybe something like the olympus pens. the smaller body with interchangable lenses. i see things getting smaller.

the days of the $2,500 d-slr are long gone now

I disagree, why I think the market will grow smaller I think the Pro models DSLR market will always be there. If not at least a consumer semi-pro line, D700 etc.

......I am thinking 5-10 years. Both in the SLR market (bodies and lenses), but also the Point and shoot market.......
......I just wanted multiple opinions because I can't really foresee what exactly will happen.
You're screwed, because no one else can either. ;)

I agree cell phone cameras will displace most of todays P&S cameras.

Mirrorless cameras with EVF and interchangeable lens capabilities will become the new entry-level cameras and the bar to entry-level will be lowered even more than it is today.

That will enable the camera makers to sell more lenses and they will make simpler, less expensive lenses for that market.

I don't see much in the way of mega pixel count increases nor a big increase in ISO capabilites at any level.

To much ISO capability reduces speedlight sales. (I wonder if Nikon regrets replacing the SB-800 with the SB-900.)

But, it seems the ''strobist" movement continues to grow and we may see radio tranceivers move to camera bodies and speedlights with radio tranceivers.

Business news headline;

Yesterday May 8, 2014, Nikon corporation announced the purchase of Pocket Wizard incorporated for $800M and also announced their newest top-of-the-line Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras the 35 MP Nikon D6x (retail: $12,400) and 24 MP D6s (retail: $8999) that utilize an integrated system of both optical and radio triggering of off camera strobed lighting.
Nikon's new system is called the Creative Lighting System II and will be incorporated in all new Nikon DSLR's going forward.

i personally would love to see a digital rangefinder from nikon lol. or maybe something like the olympus pens. the smaller body with interchangable lenses. i see things getting smaller.

I WOULD HATE, if DLSRs got smaller, to be honest when I started part of the appeal to me was the heft, it was bigger, stronger, and better. Also I have large hands so small cameras piss me off. XD

I WOULD HATE, if DLSRs got smaller, to be honest when I started part of the appeal to me was the heft, it was bigger, stronger, and better. Also I have large hands so small cameras piss me off. XD

i dont like tiny cameras either lol. but i played with a smaller olympus with interchangable lenses and quite liked it. seems like the trend is things are getting smaller though. i wouldnt mind some very expensive cameras coming out so the ones i want now come down in price haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back