Nikon question

selmerdave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so I bought a FM2n today, seems to be in good shape but the meter is no good. I'll take it to my repair guy, hopefully not a big deal and at any rate I'm looking to get a handheld anyway.

So my question is this, both camera and lens have what I understand is the "Lemix 'L'" on them, which I understand means they were manufactured by Lemix in S. Korea. But both have "Made in Japan" stamped on them, which I wouldn't think would be possible if it was made in Korea. Anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Dave

nice camera! too bad about the light meter.

i got mine out and i could only find the Made in Japan stamped in the bottom of my camera. I think you can find out more if you look up the serial number online, which is on the back right below the film advance lever.

i'm not sure what you're talking about, but what difference does it make?

Well basically I'm wondering if the camera was made by Nikon or not. Not a major issue either way, the price was more than reasonable and if it basically works it doesn't necessarily matter, but then again I bought the FM2 specifically as a reliable backup to my FE2 and if it wasn't actually made by Nikon it may not serve that purpose all that well. What I read online says it was not made by Nikon, but I can't imagine how it could be stamped "Made in Japan" if it wasn't.

Dave

I can't seem to find anything about Lemix-made Nikons... do you have any specific reason to think it will be less reliable because it's not made in Japan? I would have thought a Nikon design would be made to consistent standards.

I guess since Nikon was not exactly in the business of subcontracting their manufacturing there is no proven track record of it (one way or the other), but imagine you just bought a 300/2.8 lens for $3k and on the bottom it said "Made in Malaysia", would you be happy about the purchase. Obviously that is a different scenario but it illustrates my point.

The good news is, the meter is actually fine in good lighting. Useless in low light even at high ISO's which was how I was checking it before (comparing to my FE2). Still planning on the handheld..

Dave

but imagine you just bought a 300/2.8 lens for $3k and on the bottom it said "Made in Malaysia", would you be happy about the purchase.

Yep... because it would be a $3000 lens. :) Nowadays people look at a kit lens and say it's a cheap plastic Chinese lens. In fact it's a cheap plastic lens, and it would be a cheap plastic lens wherever it was made. I honestly don't think the country of origin matters that much now. Interestingly this is one of the very few times I agree with a certain Mr. K. Rockwell - although he can't make the same point without going off on some fairly racist tangent about western people's brains being too important to waste... crazy b*stard... anyway my point is yes, I would be happy. Of course I don't know when these Lemix Nikons were made, the situation could have been very different then.

I honestly don't think the country of origin matters that much now

surely not to the point that you can just rely on that, but I would say it's a piece an information to take into consideration.

people do not work in the same conditions everywhere. that affects the production, no doubt. for a number of reasons. both the standards by which a factory works and the daily situation in which workers live and work determine the final product.

sad to say, but that little detail "made in..." means a lot too often...

Chances are that Nikon Quality Control was in charge of production no matter where the production occurred. Nikon has been careful of the reputation of their camera bodies for a long time.

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back