Nikon Sb-28 (or just flash stuff)

grooski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had a big question on the "101" on flashes. I have an Sb-28 and i have almost no idea what to do if it's like dark out and, i dont know you getting me? All i know is just the different settings and (fill flash and things)only to just set it to -6. So can anyone like help me out? Is it like you add a stop every three feet away the subject is?

my(and probably voodoocats) opinion is to not use a flash for night shots. just expose longer.

md

im not saying i use it in night shots im saying what the 101 and things are. If was talking mostly about just to give some elimanation if there's like people. I fourth that. Night shots with flash are bad.

Hello grooski

grooski said:
... I have an Sb-28 and i have almost no idea what to do if it's like dark out ... So can anyone like help me out ... ?

Set flash on "A" and enter the same f-stop as set on your camera

Ensure the indicated distance shown on flash will reach your subject -- and shoot

It's that's simple. Really!

The choice of camera aperture, and reason/s for making it, could be the topic of another thread

Don't be too concerned about shutter speed in this instance; the flash will fire at over 1/20,000 - which, in the dark, will be your effective shutter speed

A slow shutter speed (or "dragging the shutter") is useful when wanting to capture any low level ambient/available light that illuminates the subject or background;  an explanation of this could also be the topic of another thread

You might wish to experiment using the flash's TTL setting:  again, enter the same f-stop as camera and ensure the indicated distanced will reach your subject -- and shoot

In most situations with flash (both night & day) i use the "A" setting (¹) because it allows more control

Have fun!

:)

e_

EDIT: (¹)  A full range of "A" settings is only available on more advanced flash units, such as the Nikon SB-28 discussed here

Most reactions

Back