Nikon SB-400: Best flash for around $100?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is the Nikon SB-400 the best flash for around $100, or is there something better I can get?

I'm only going to be using this for fill flash on portraits. The SB-600 looks a lot nicer, although I don't think I want to spend nearly double to get it.

you can get used flashes for a cheaper than an sb-600.

last weekend i got a used sb-80dx that looks like it's never been used for $100, and i like it more than my sb-600's.

Oh wow, I just looked. I saw some used SB-80DXs on ebay for about $120. What makes them better than the SB-600s?

well i'm not sure i'd go as far as saying sb-80dx's better, since the auto mode on it is a little flaky when use on camera(manual works fine), but i use it off camera and it's a decent amount more powerful than my 600's from what i can tell.

i'm not entirely sure it will work on a d70 though, since i've read somewhere that it doesn't. it could have just been referting to auto/ ttl though.

I like the SB600 because I can remotely trigger it using the commander mode. No cords!

I use the SB-800 for shooting bar events and fashion shows it has the aux power input, remote triggering. you can pick it up for about 200, but if your just going to shoot a few portraits then a 400 or 600 would be sufficient

I use the SB-800 for shooting bar events and fashion shows it has the aux power input, remote triggering. you can pick it up for about 200, but if your just going to shoot a few portraits then a 400 or 600 would be sufficient

Where can you get an SB800 for $200?

Oh wow, I just looked. I saw some used SB-80DXs on ebay for about $120. What makes them better than the SB-600s?

They have a sync connector, if I am not mistaken, and they are slightly more powerful. Now, having said that, these are likely very well used. I am very comfy with my SB-600s and will likely add a couple more to my collection very soon.

The SB-600s are iTTL capable on my camera (and coming camera), as well as being able to do high-speed sync and CLS. They may not have a sync connector, but that is not an issue for me on off camera flash, as I use a small hotshoe adapter on each of my lightstands.

Personally, I would rather invest $175 and get a brand new SB-600 with a warranty instead of spending $120 for a used unit off of ebay.

Last edited:
Eh. I would think anything over $100 should be spent on a lens instead of a flash. I'm looking for the best flash that will fill shadows on faces. Will the SB-400 or SB-80ex do that best?

Eh. I would think anything over $100 should be spent on a lens instead of a flash. I'm looking for the best flash that will fill shadows on faces. Will the SB-400 or SB-80ex do that best?

Don't worry... I won't tell the people who spend $10,000 on ProPhoto lighting equipment. :lol:

BTW... hundred bucks for a lens? That won't get you too far up the chain of quality either. Lenses today are 4 digits for the "good ones". The current top of the line battery powered strobe is the SB-900 at just around $500.

Depends on what you want to do... a cheap flash is just that... a cheap flash, just like a cheap lens is just that.

Even one of the better bargains out there are the Vivitars and SunPacks that go between 80-150. A hundred bucks for a strobe is nothing incredible in terms of an investment.

Don't worry... I won't tell the people who spend $10,000 on ProPhoto lighting equipment. :lol:

BTW... hundred bucks for a lens? That won't get you too far up the chain of quality either. Lenses today are 4 digits for the "good ones". The current top of the line battery powered strobe is the SB-900 at just around $500.

Depends on what you want to do... a cheap flash is just that... a cheap flash, just like a cheap lens is just that.

Even one of the better bargains out there are the Vivitars and SunPacks that go between 80-150. A hundred bucks for a strobe is nothing incredible in terms of an investment.

I meant I can put the hundred dollars toward a lens, not literally buy a lens with that $100. I'm fairly knowledgeable about camera bodies and lenses, however I know almost nothing about flashes. Its hard for me to envision how a flash that cost nearly twice as much could produce that much better pictures.

Care to educate me, if its not too much trouble?

Most reactions

Back