Nikon SB 900

jaxx419

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right place or not. Feel free to move it.

I was asked to shoot a bridal shower event for a friend. She knows I'm not a pro ((I've told her several times)) but still wants me to take photos. I'm using this as practice and nut charging, just an FYI.

My work is letting me borrow a Nikon SB 900 flash to use for my D5100. I was wanting to buy a SB 400 anyway, but after seeing the venue and ceilings, I thought I needed something more powerful to bounce light.

I've never used an external flash, and have a week practice with it! I've done my own research, but please post any links or flash exercises that would be helpful.

Thanks!!

If you have time to do some reading, consider The Hot Shoe Diaries and/or Light, Science, and Magic

For a quick look at bounce flash, google Niel Van Niekerk, or check out one of his videos

[video=vimeo;20809045]http://vimeo.com/20809045[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great, thanks! The shower is next Saturday so I might not have time to purchase books online that can help me a lot with next sat but I will look into them!

I know shooting in auto is a Nono that I don't do.. I shoot Manual. Is this true for external flash also? Is the auto flash setting OK or usually way off? Should I play around with the manual flash setting? I'm trying to wrap my brain around the 'zoom' and 'aperture' settings for flash.

I know shooting in auto is a Nono that I don't do.. I shoot Manual. Is this true for external flash also? Is the auto flash setting OK or usually way off? Should I play around with the manual flash setting? I'm trying to wrap my brain around the 'zoom' and 'aperture' settings for flash.
If you are shooting aperture mode (recommended) don't worry about the flash, Nikon uses the ttl system which means through the lens, it will fire a quick shot for metering and then another for main. For a venue like that especially if you are not a full pro I would shoot aperture priority versus full manual, if you are feeling the flash is too strong stop down the lens or lower the Iso, the other thing u can do is press down the flash button and turn the dial to compensate for the flash. Also shoot with a light diffuser or a bounce card unless you want panda eyes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back