Nikon sharpness adjustments

Have seen this discussion elsewhere and the conclusion is that many of these advanced settings will only be apparent if imported into your computer via Nikon's CaptureNX. Supposedly the RAW converters in LR/PS, Aperture, CaptureOne, etc do a poor job in handling that data.

I must admit I don't see the purpose in shooting Raw and then trying to apply advanced settings. Isn't the purpose of raw to have unsullied images?

I must admit I don't see the purpose in shooting Raw and then trying to apply advanced settings. Isn't the purpose of raw to have unsullied images?

Yes, but as in all things, attempts at variations striving for perfection is the order of the day and sharpness is paramount in photos.....;)

Yes, but as in all things, attempts at variations striving for perfection is the order of the day and sharpness is paramount in photos.....;)

Sorry, I don't understand.

If you make adjustments which get applied before you see the raw image, you are working in the dark. You might as well use jpgs.
If you apply changes before seeing the raw image, you have no idea what the actual raw image is and you need to re-zero the settings to see the baseline.
This seems like a waste of time.
Why not make the adjustments in raw as you see you need them?

Sorry, I don't understand.

If you make adjustments which get applied before you see the raw image, you are working in the dark. You might as well use jpgs.
If you apply changes before seeing the raw image, you have no idea what the actual raw image is and you need to re-zero the settings to see the baseline.
This seems like a waste of time.
Why not make the adjustments in raw as you see you need them?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am interested in learning how to obtain the sharpest pre PPing shots as a starting point. If the camera does not offer any then yes it is a waste of time. Doesn't it make sense to start with the sharpest RAW and then apply additional changes as "necessary"?

Oh, I get it.
Sorry.

As I get to be more of a fuss-pot, I find myself doing more that a single global sharpening. I tend to sharpen according to the image characteristics and often sharpen specific areas. (I am a fan of 2 pass sharpening).

I am away for a couple of weeks and consequently will catch up with this thread on my return.

Cheers.

Lew

I read somewhere (a magazine, maybe, can't remember) that on mid to high end cameras, the manufacturers set the auto-sharpening to a very mild setting, this is on purpose so that you can control the amount of sharpening later.

The theory is that if there is not enough sharpening, it's easy to add later, but if there is too much, you're screwed.

andrew99 presents an interesting thought and that is, too much beginning sharpness, from the camera, can become a negative factor regarding any post processing, while a softer sharpness can always be sharpened. Hummmm.

What say y'all?

Most reactions

Back