Nikon SU-800

DCerezo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was thinking about a pocket wizard (way too expensive). Then I found this little hottie. Anyone have any practical experience with it? Does it function like a pocket wizard? The price is certainly right. I plan on using it with a SB-910 and SB-700 on a D600. Any input would be appreciated.

It will work but relies on infrared unlike the PW. It's range nowhere quite as far.

Does it function like a pocket wizard?

No. The PW system is a radio system, and requires at least two units, one on the camera and one on the remote flash. A third, fourth, etc., will be needed on subsequent flash units, depending on how many you intend to use.

The SB-800 works in the Nikon CLS mode, and communicates with the flash units via infrared (light) signals. It will enable the two flashes that you have to function in iTTL mode.

The PW is said to enable iTTL as well.

The SU800 is a CLS flash commander that works, as said above, with infrared signals to CLS enabled speed lights. You D600's pop-up flash, as does your SB910, will do the same thing but with a bit less functionality in terms of the number of separate groups it can control.

Outdoor effectiveness is somewhat limited to line of sight between the flashes and the SU800 and is said to be impaired somewhat in sunlight. Indoors, the signal will bounce off ceilings and wall with some effectiveness however if your flash is buried in a softbox or covered umbrella it might not work.

If the cost of pocket wizards is prohibitive some folks have had good luck with less expensive alternatives. Yongnuo units seem to be gathering a loyal following.

Last edited:
Is it reliable? I'm talking for portraits and whatnot

The Nikon system is very reliable with line-of-sight communication between the commander and the slaves, within the limitations of normal indoor lighting. Outdoors, with sunlight interference, the system may or may not work to your satisfaction.

Ok, so in other words it's just as good as using my pop up flash to trigger the speedlights. Not really what I was looking for.

The SU-800 outputs a more powerful signal than a Nikon cameras popup flash unit does, but as alluded to, outside any IR system has to compete with the power of the IR light the Sun produces.

Flash units also have to be oriented so the receiving window on the flash unit can 'see' the IR signal transmitted by either the popup flash or an SU-800.

At $250 the Nikon SU-800 Wireless isn't inexpensive, but being from Nikon it is fully optimized for Nikon's iTTL.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's more powerful than your pop up. Indoors the su800 works quite well even in small gyms. You can bounce the IR around corners with some practice.

Outside if you are stationary you can get it set up and be ok but if you are moving around you'd want a radio set up.

Pair the su800 with a pw mini and some flexes for your flashes and you have the best set up, in my opinion, for off camera speed light control.

I debated for months between the SU-800 radio triggers myself. I came to the conclusion that for outdoor work, radio was a must (I had no problems working indoors with the popup flash acting as a commander).

I would recommend that you check out the Phottix Odin triggers. They are cheaper then PW but use radio instead of IR for communication. They have a lot of nice features (iTTL, zoom control, Manual control, 3 groups, HSS, etc), good build, and have been extremely reliable for me so far (haven't missed a shot with them yet!).

Phottix Odin TTL Flash Trigger for Nikon

I'll bet you $5000.00 (of your money) that if you got a set of Yongnuo RF-603s for Nikon and a used flash meter and learned how to use the meter you'd be far happier than if you bought that and depended on TTL.

Most reactions

Back