Nikon TC-20E AF-S Teleconverter II

zringinu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Nikon D60 and with the 55-200mm lens. I wanted to ask whether this teleconverter is compatible with this lens. Because reading about it, it is only compatible with the 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

If you put that converter on a slow consumer zoom lens, it will cut two f/stops' worth of light coming in,so the lens would probably not autofocus. A two-times or "2x" converter like the TC-20E is really designed for prime lenses like the 300mm f/2.8 and 400mm f/2.8 Nikkors, although it can be used on a lens like a 70-200mm f/2.8.

Not all Nikon converters can be used on all Nikon lenses; many lenses have rear elements that are close to the back of the lens, and the TC14,TC17, and TC 20 series converters have front elements that are pretty close to the front of the converter's lens mount where the main lens will be bayonetted on, so you really do need to check the official Nikon compatibility list if trying to mount a lens on a converter.

In general, the TCe series converters are designed for the "pro" lenses with a large empty space at the rear of the lens, and the TCe series converters were developed ONLY for use with AF-i and AF-S model Nikkor lenses.

For "generalist" use, the Kenko Pro brand of converters are the best choice, since they are designed to mount on many more types of lenses, and do not have the protruding front element.

Thanks mate, really appreciate your help! What telephoto lens you will recommend?

Most reactions

Back