Nikon teleconverters?

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8, and I find it too short to shoot any birds in my backyard (and there are a lot of badass birds up here in Maine). So, I don't have the money to go for a long lens right now, so, I'm thinking of going with a Nikon teleconverter until I can afford a 200-400 f/4 or 300mm f/2.8 (with which I'd probably use a teleconverter with anyways sometimes). So, anyways, anyone here have experience with Nikon's teleconverters (I'd like to stick with Nikon, and not go 3rd party, just because I'm like that)? I'm looking at pretty much any of them right now, 1.4x, 1.7x, or 2x. And has anyone used those with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR?

Thanks.

I use a TC14E II with my 70-200 VR all the time. I have used a TC17E, but the light drop-off gets to be a bit much for fast moving birds. With a TC14E, you are still only at 280mm, which is still not nearly enough for birds, but it is an improvement. This means you just have to learn how to be a little sneakier, and a LOT more patient, to get a little closer to the birds.

I use a TC14E II with my 70-200 VR all the time. I have used a TC17E, but the light drop-off gets to be a bit much for fast moving birds. With a TC14E, you are still only at 280mm, which is still not nearly enough for birds, but it is an improvement. This means you just have to learn how to be a little sneakier, and a LOT more patient, to get a little closer to the birds.

Yeah, do you think I'd be better off just saving up for, what lens?

What length do you think is best for birds?

I've heard that the 500mm f/4 is a popular bird lens, but, I don't really have that much money. How would the 300mm f/2.8 be if I threw a 1.4 or 1.7x teleconverter be?

A rough guide to use is a full (small size) moon in high altitude I think can be placed in a frame with 1000mm more or less. Most of the bird would be "smaller" than the full moon viewed in the view finder. I don't think you want to put the bird 100% in the box, though that would be nice. But at how much cost?

Just my guessing estimate.

Why not take a photo at 200mm and find how much you need to crop out to get the photo you want. If you need to reduce the megapixel count to 1/4, then you'd need double the focal length.

Most reactions

Back