Nikon Time

tkaat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay I've been thinking of going into film photography cause to me it just feels better using film than digital
and so I've been looking at ebay for a cheap film camera cause I'm kinda broke :meh: and have a budget of less than $100 for the body (and hopefully a lens in that budget) and found a few nikons (nikon only) but don't know how good they are:
1. N50
2. AF N5005 w/ 35-80
3. N75
4. N60
5. EM
6. NIKKORMAT
7. EM w/ a 28-80mm
8. N4004
9. N50 w/ 35-90

Need help if these are any good or is there a better nikon film camera
:hail:

Well, you have quite a range of cameras there. The only one I've used personally is an N75, and I'm not a big fan (modern SLR with amateurish controls and features, limiting in some irritating ways).

The real question is what kind of film camera do you want? An N5005 with automatic exposure and an autofocus zoom lens is worlds different than a manual Nikkormat with a prime lens. While both are 35mm film cameras, they are a completely different experience. I shot my first film roll in the N75 and found it no more interesting or satisfying than my DSLR, but then I happened upon a fully manual (with a lightmeter) SLR with a fixed 50mm lens and suddenly I'm developing Tri-X in the sink while my DSLR sits in the bag.

The tricky thing about Nikon is that people still want the recent cameras (N75, N90) and many of the old ones are collectible. This is why I love "off-brand" cameras like my Ricoh- no one wants them except me. Of course, I have the advantage of lens interchangeability with my digital system (thank you K-mount), but realize that if you want to stay Nikon it's going to cost a little more. My film camera and lens cost me $21 in perfect working condition, which may be worth starting with a new system. It all depends on what kind of camera you choose.

Based on my experience, I recommend a manual SLR with a built-in lightmeter (for convenience), which will probably be something from the early seventies to early eighties. There's nothing more satisfying to me than shooting with a camera like this.

Thanks for the input and I think I'm gonna listen to you i just thought it would be cheaper for me if I stuck with nikon but cheap and great works for me also

I just have one question about the k-mount which brands of lenses would i be able to use on Ricoh cameras

You can use Ricoh's lenses of course, and Pentax K-mount lenses will work also on a Ricoh. I have a Ricoh XR-M, and a Pentax ME super that share lenses with no problems.
I also have a few Nikons (EM, FG, N65, N75, N90s), and I find myself shooting with the N90s the most as of late. I agree with elemental about the N75 being limiting. The N65 is just as bad if not a little worse. The FG is a great manual camera (to me at least), while the EM has a bit of a twitchy meter, or it could just be the one I have.

Sorry for the length of this.:blushing:

Personally, i'd get a FE (manual focus) over any of those. FE2 would be even better, but most i've seen are over $100. I love my FE.

An N8008 is a sweet camera and it uses AA batterys like the N90/s. It's also usually 2/3s to 1/2 less expensive.

If you are looking for computability with your D40 You might as well go really old school and get a fully manual camera and a hand held meter.

By the way, is the location listed under your name an advertisement or a typo? LOLOLOL

Thanks for all the input and I will take it all into consideration but I still am not sure if I will stick with nikon on this or go for my cheaper friends at ricoh

By the way, is the location listed under your name an advertisement or a typo? LOLOLOL

oh yea Mike_E I don't know what you are talking about thanks for bringing that up but I don't know what you are talking about :?:
I really do live in Freepot ahh I mean Freeport,Bahamas :blushing:

A nikon FE with a 50mm would be perfect. Or you could look outside of nikon like a Pentax ME super or k1000, Canon ae-1 is a good camera to learn the basics of film. I have an n60 w/ a 50mm 1.8. Picked it up for $65.

Most reactions

Back