Nikon to Canon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by nitefly, Oct 8, 2006.

?

Read the post

1. Yes

31.8%
  2. No

68.2%
  1. nitefly

nitefly TPF Noob!

Should I sell my D50 to buy a Canon 400D?

2. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Depends how much you sell your d50 to me for...

3. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have a feeling this is a touchy subject to some and has the potential to result in a nikon/canon flame war.

BUT, I will answer your question :)

the d50 is a fine camera. the 400d is a fine camera. you can capture extremely good, award winning images with either one. Are you unhappy with your d50 in any way? If not, then you might want to just keep it until you feel that it is hindering you. The comparison of the cameras boils down to three things. First is ergonomic preference. If you like the feel of the d50 more than that of the 400d, then you might want to stick with the d50. If you know that you could easily get used to the different settings and knobs and such of the 400d, then that's less of an issue. The second thing is camera features...which also is largely preference. For instance, if you shoot still life in a studio, there's no need to get a camera with 8 fps if you can use a camera with 3 fps that will work just as good. However, many of the features in the 400d are definitely useable, like the anti-dust feature. the third is the company's photography equipment system. You need to think about what kind of equipment you might be getting in the future. For instance, nikon's speedlight flash system is known to be better than canon's (although canon's is still very good). Canons tend to have less noise/grain in their high ISO (ISO 800 and up) photos than nikons, and they have the option to buy a full frame digital camera also. Both have very good lenses. look at a comparison of the two here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos400d%2Cnikon_d50&show=all

if you know you want to switch, take a look at a used canon 20d also, which can easily be found for around the price of the 400d. if money is an issue, you might want to just stick with the d50, as selling all your equipment from one brand to switch can be a pain. If it's not an issue, and you don't have other equipment than what's listed in your signature, then it won't be difficult. If I was in your position, I probably would switch.

4. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

If you have to ask this question, the answer is quite clearly no.

There are certain things Canon does better. There are certain things Nikon does better. If you want to commit to a different system for those things, switching could be justified. But both the D50 and the 400D are amazing cameras backed by great companies with piles of high-quality glass and accessories. Both will take fantastic shots quite easily. If you just are saying "should I trade this for this" without a reason, the answer is no, save your money. Spend time working on your photography, developing technique, and finding what you enjoy and need most, and then make a decision.

5. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I say no. You are not really making that big of a jump in capabilities. You are going to loose some of your original investment for maybe just a little more capability. I say hang onto your current camera. And if in the future you want to switch over to Canon. Keep the Nikon as a back up.

I have Canon and Nikon equipment (more Nikon than Canon). At the time though I bought a Canon 20D because it was the best camera in the price range I wanted to pay. I then bought a Nikon D50 for a second camera (something to use my Nikon glass). I think my next camera will probably be the 5D. But I think I will be waiting another year so I am sure something else will come up that will mix things up.

6. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

True.

Rob