12-24 F2.8
24-70 F2.8
70-200 VR F2.8

The Holy Trinity of Standard Nikon Glass
After these the sky is the limit.
If I had to add a 4th, it would be the 60mm F2.8 Macro

YES THE HOLY TRINITY! :lmao:

I would go with the 105 f2.8 macro though. :mrgreen:

Dang, nice guys. Quite a few of you have the lenses I want. Now I'm not sure if I'll make it a full month before I order the 70-200 f/2.8 (trying to space out my list to 1 item per month).

Keep 'em coming!

12-24
24-70
70-200

2.8's

^^ all you need to say

12-24
24-70
70-200

2.8's
I'd love to get my hands on a 12-24mm f/2.8, but can't seem to find one.... I guess the f/4 will have to suffice. :(

12-24 F2.8
24-70 F2.8
70-200 VR F2.8

The Holy Trinity of Standard Nikon Glass
After these the sky is the limit.
If I had to add a 4th, it would be the 60mm F2.8 Macro

Dang, nice guys. Quite a few of you have the lenses I want. Now I'm not sure if I'll make it a full month before I order the 70-200 f/2.8 (trying to space out my list to 1 item per month).

Keep 'em coming!

doh! 1 typo in the original string and now everyone wants a 12-24 f/2.8 :lol:
it's 14-24mm,24-70mm,70-200mm f/2.8

and the only one of these i actually own is the 70-200mm

It's $50 cheaper at Sigma4less. Check shipping charges though.

EDIT:
Josh, the 70-200mm that is... itznfb got in before I could

OOPS. Wouldn't that be nice though? A 12-24 f2.8. :lmao:

The Nikkor "holy trinity" (cracks me up every time I say or hear someone say it)

14-24
24-70
70-200

Of course, no list is complete without the 85mm F/1.4 cream machine!

Is everyone posting the lenses they have or the lenses believed to be the best Nikon Offers?

Well, the OP asked for what people thought the top 3 were, not if they owned them.

However, I own the 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8, 85mm F/1.4 but not the 14-24 (yet!).

One of my fav places to spend the big bucks at (my D700 and 4 lenses came from there). Definitely check the shipping charges. I saved myself $40 by calling them up and asking for lower shipping rates.

EDIT:
Josh, the 70-200mm that is... itznfb got in before I could

They are $20 cheaper than B&H, however once I looked at shipping it was a deal breaker. They charge $40 for shipping and B&H charges $16, so it really evens out. Thanks for finding that though, I appreciate you looking out for me.

How can one claim it's a top 3 lens if they don't have it and know it's characteristics?

EDIT:
some people have a very nice list planned for the future, but may not have them yet. No harm in that, it just means you have your goals set.
Which exactly the reason to comment on a lens you own and have field experience with. Wish list information may be fun to read, but if someone is seriously looking for a particular lens then a fair assesment would be much more beneficial.

Such as the reason I use the 35mm to shoot my dogs at the shelter. The kennels are ~5'x10'. In those confines a longer lens could work, but the tendancy is for the animals the get really close to you.... or stay far away. The 35mm has a close MFD and is fast to focus and fast apeture. I can crop those images and still get amazing detail. Last night I only had the 24-70mm with me. It's an amazing lens, but the MFD is a PITA under those conditions. Even with an SB-800 to bounce light, if the sumbitch won't AF focus when they're close it's hard to get a decent shot.

That's 2¢ worth. :biggrin:

Last edited:
As Jerry stated, I didn't specifically say you had to own the ones you listed. I just said what are your 3 favorite. Although I first meant which 3 are your favorite out of the ones you have used, I see no harm in people sharing which they think are the best overall. It comes down the the same concept. I do it in my signature, so why not have a thread where everyone else gets to? I'm not anal enough to restrict it to "only what you own" because as proven here, some people have a very nice list planned for the future, but may not have them yet. No harm in that, it just means you have your goals set.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back