Nikon VR Lens ... benefits / Zoom comparison

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by James79, Apr 2, 2007.

1. James79

James79 TPF Noob!

I'm angling after my first telephoto lens ... on a tight budget, so I know I won't be able to run to anything particularly fast. Already have the kit 18-70, so looking for something to complement that.

Naturally a bit of trawling about the internet brought me to the Nikkor AF 70-300 (4.0 - 5.6). It's a G lens, so no manual aperture ring, but seeing as this is for a D70s, not really a problem. I do realise that this is probably not the greatest zoom in the world ... but the price (£80 - about $150) it looks like a bargain. And, er, it had some good reviews on Amazon :er:

Anyone use one of these ? Amazing bargain or to be avoided ?

Now ... I also spotted the 70 - 300 (4.5 - 5.6) ED IF VR ... which at £370 is a whole lot more expensive. So ... what exactly is it about this lens which makes it worth the extra dough ? Presumably it would be a lot sharper ?

It's not any faster, and the main selling point as I can see is that it has the VR feature. What are the main benefits of this - does it let you shoot at slower speeds without a tripod ?

Thanks for any advice :thumbup:

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's the idea. It steadies the image to counteract the small movements that occur when we are hand holding the camera. It can really help you to get sharper shots, especially with a telephoto lens like this.

3. James79

James79 TPF Noob!

Thanks ! That sounds incredibly useful in the right situation ... not sure if it's exactly what I need to be spending money on right now, however. I think I'd benefit more from spending the difference on a decent flash and learning how to use that properly.

I'm keen to know if the G lens is any good (at this price, perhaps not ... but I have to ask). This is for general purpose photography ... though for the price perhaps I could take the chance and get a 2.8 later if it becomes within my means.