Nikon VR or non VR for D3100

PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm getting my sister a D3100/3200 setup for a combines Happy Wedding/Merry Christmas/Yay its a boy gift, since that last part dictates they'll need a good camera.

Since they are not pros, will probably use the little green box (unless I teach them shutter/aperture priority), and just need good kid photos.....

How essential is the VR on the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses? Its not like they'll be shooting weddings in dark churches and using 2.8 glass or anything....

I think the fact you know they will use the camera in auto puts them in the user category that would likely get the most benefit from vr

When you're shooting in light that requires f4/5.6 etc... how much difference does VR make? I've never used VR lenses so I dont know HOW MUCH difference it makes.

Vr helps camera shake only so if a person is moving and you get a shutter speed of say 1/15th of a second they will still be blurred. However it helps if everything is stationary and the user is a little shaky.

Depending on the vr rating the lens helps by an amount of stops. Say the vr is rated at 3 stops and you require a speed of 1/125 th of a second for a steady shot, in theory with that vr lens you should manage to take a steady shot at approx 1/15th of a second

But if you're using the green box, isn't the camera going to automatically choose the highest iso and trigger the pop up flash, thus nullifying VR anyway?

VR is one of those things that is very nice to have when you need it and not an issue when you don't need it. I personally wouldn't even consider purchasing a lens today that didn't have VR built into it since it does an excellent job when needed. If it isn't needed it's not in the way and doesn't cause any problems.

To answer your question, Yes. In auto mode the camera will choose a higher ISO and use the flash when necessary but that doesn't necessarily negate the need for VR. In that circumstance the camera will also choose 1/60 second for the flash synch speed and some people, at some focal lengths, still can't hold a camera still at that shutter speed.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Scott. This for example turned out to be a very difficult shot:

11125979636_75b55f8f86_o.jpg

That was shot at 1/30th of a second shutter speed at 300 mm with no tripod. VR doesn't come into play on all of my shots of course, but it becomes useful often enough that if I have the option between a VR lens and a non-VR lens I'll opt for the VR everytime.

In my experience, VR is useful at longer focal lengths. As a feature on an 18 - 55mm lens, it is pretty much a marketing gimmick (some exceptions apply, of course), but on the 55 - 200 it may help reduce the effects of camera shake at longer focal lengths. Some people with very unsteady hands benefit from vr in more circumstances, mind you.

is a lens feature that is really not very useful at focal lengths under 200 mm.

That statement is utterly ridiculous. Totally ridiculous. We get it...you don't know how to use VR.

VR is fantastic when shooting from moving platforms....cars,trucks,boats,trains,buses,horseback,ferry boats, and also while walking slowly, shooting one-handed, shooting on-the-run, shooting in run-n-gun situations, shooting when out of breath or when your heart rate is elevated, and also when shooting in the wind, such as at the seashore or in other windy areas, where a tripod is basically nearly useless. VR is also superb for PANNING shots--better than any tripod ever made, since it can eliminate up-and-down camera movement while still allowing lateral movement; when panning on up-and-down movement (rare, but it happens) VR can eliminate side-to-side camera movement while preserving the panning movement. VR is also useful with short lenses for shooting deep depth of field scenic, travel, or macro shots without the need for a tripod, or when tripods are not allowed.

The idea that VR is not really very useful at focal lengths under 200mm is, again, utterly ridiculous. Canon and Nikon would beg to differ, since they have included VR in a number of lenses that have their entire focal length range under 200mm in length.

Not understanding how or when to use VR or IS is a problem with many people who are not really open to new ideas.

I'm getting my sister a D3100/3200 setup

Any new Nikon bundle will have a VR kit zoom of some kind. If you get one bundled with a fast prime then VR isn't an issue for obvious reasons.

And yes, VR helps a lot for parents with shaky hands taking a picture of their kid on the floor in a dark room (even with flash). There's definitely a good reason why Nikon went through the massive expense of developing and producing the VR system on cheapo kit lenses, especially for the Green Box users.

VR is fantastic when shooting from moving platforms....cars,trucks,boats,trains,buses,horseback,ferry boats,

See now I have this mental image of you on the back of a big black stallion at a full gallop, hair billowing behind you in the wind, firing away with your Nikon as you thunder past... lol

also while walking slowly, shooting one-handed, shooting on-the-run, shooting in run-n-gun situations, shooting when out of breath or when your heart rate is elevated, and also when shooting in the wind, such as at the seashore or in other windy areas, where a tripod is basically nearly useless. VR is also superb for PANNING shots--better than any tripod ever made, since it can eliminate up-and-down camera movement while still allowing lateral movement; when panning on up-and-down movement (rare, but it happens) VR can eliminate side-to-side camera movement while preserving the panning movement. VR is also useful with short lenses for shooting deep depth of field scenic, travel, or macro shots without the need for a tripod, or when tripods are not allowed.

The idea that VR is not really very useful at focal lengths under 200mm is, again, utterly ridiculous. Canon and Nikon would beg to differ, since they have included VR in a number of lenses that have their entire focal length range under 200mm in length.

Not understanding how or when to use VR or IS is a problem with many people who are not really open to new ideas.

I've been pretty happy with VR overall, even on the 18-55 mm. In my experience I can shoot at much lower shutter speeds hand held and still get nice, sharp photos. I haven't tried the horseback thing but now I think it's pretty much an imperative.. lol

In my experience, VR is useful at longer focal lengths. As a feature on an 18 - 55mm lens, it is pretty much a marketing gimmick (some exceptions apply, of course), but on the 55 - 200 it may help reduce the effects of camera shake at longer focal lengths. Some people with very unsteady hands benefit from vr in more circumstances, mind you.

Image stabilization even at shorter focal lengths can enable some creative shots that you wouldn't get unstabilized. I like the options it gives you for capturing a sense of motion in a shot that you might not be able to get hand-held otherwise.

This is with OM-D's in-built stabilization, on a train:

The Way Out is Through by davidgevert, on Flickr

This is hand-held on an unstabilized lens on my D800, pretty much the limit of what I could achieve without support (1/20s @ 24mm)

Wasn't my train by davidgevert, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back