Nikon vs. Canon

One reason and one reason only to go with Nikon:
That's what they use on CSI! :)

Good to see people are calming down a bit! :hugs:

*calls the SWAT team and tells them to go home*

It's all perspective, and I think everyone here has seen some of the brilliant work people have posted here taken with just a point and shoot! The quality of the camera is important in some situations but in general great photos are achieved with any camera. :)

The lens is the most important aspect of a camera, so work out what glass you want and base your decision on that, as the body will be your smallest investment.

loves_guitar said:

hahaha ive noticed that too!!

not the reason i got a nikon though

LeftRightLeft said:
hahaha ive noticed that too!!

not the reason i got a nikon though

Did anybody watch last night's episode [Thursday, Oct. 12/06]? There was a BLATANT product shot of the Nikon camera. Quite funny.

But I'm a Nikon guy, so it was all good!

loves_guitar said:
I dunno if it's a reason to go with Nikon; actually film and TV tell me to avoid Nikon like the plague. The CSI team use Nikons and at least two people get murdered every week... David Hemmings used a Nikon in Blow Up and someone got murdered... Jimmy Stewart used a Nikon in Rear Window and someone got murdered... in The Omen David Warner uses a Nikon and gets decapitated! Yep, those Nikons are cursed. Shoot Canon, it's the safe choice.

At last this is turning into a sensible debate. :lmao:

Ok, I guess I'll pop in with my 2 cents worth.....

I shoot Nikon but both are fine systems. As to one of your original points, you don't have to use Nikon lighting systems exclusively to get good results. That is just the Salesman's BS. Nikon works well with almost every lighting manufacture out there.

I choose Nikon because I can use my newest modern lenses with my F5 as well as my old all manual FM2n cameras. If and when I go for digital all my lenses with work with that camera as well. Canon does not have this backwards/forwards compatibility with lenses. I could not use the same lenses with the AE-1 and their newest Digital SLR's.

That was the deciding factor for me. Is that important for you? If not then Canon may end up being your choice or any of the other major brands.

As several others have said it's the photographer and not particularly the box that takes the picture which is important.

Simon said:
The lens is the most important aspect of a camera, so work out what glass you want and base your decision on that, as the body will be your smallest investment.

If you are talking digital this thinking is outdated. In the past your camera was just a light tight box and the lens and film was more important. With the advent of digital the camera companies have found a way around this and now the quality of your body is as important as the glass you put on it.

JIP said:
If you are talking digital this thinking is outdated. In the past your camera was just a light tight box and the lens and film was more important. With the advent of digital the camera companies have found a way around this and now the quality of your body is as important as the glass you put on it.

Not really. The camera companies don't make the sensor arrays. They are made by third parties and sold to the camera companies. Sensors are sensors, basically. Yes the compression software in the cameras is different but, if one captures Raw files, that isn't an issue. Some cameras have more resolution than others but those with the same resolution perform the same. The lens is still what forms the image. The sensor array in the camera simply records it. This might all change in the future but better lenses still provide better technical images.

loves_guitar said:
Did anybody watch last night's episode [Thursday, Oct. 12/06]? There was a BLATANT product shot of the Nikon camera. Quite funny.

But I'm a Nikon guy, so it was all good!

Yeah, I noticed that, also. Nikon must have paid CBS lots of money, because if you watch carefully, they always show the Nikon, plain as day. But I agree, they did keep the camera on that D200 (I believe), for quite a few seconds.

fmw said:
Not really. The camera companies don't make the sensor arrays. They are made by third parties and sold to the camera companies. Sensors are sensors, basically. Yes the compression software in the cameras is different but, if one captures Raw files, that isn't an issue. Some cameras have more resolution than others but those with the same resolution perform the same. The lens is still what forms the image. The sensor array in the camera simply records it. This might all change in the future but better lenses still provide better technical images.

sorry, but your reply was more off than JIP's.

some company's do have others make their sensors (nikon uses sony sensors, for instance), but not all of them. canon makes their own sensors.

I think by 'compression software' you mean image processors, which are certainly not just 'compression' related. the image processor controls color, sharpness, contrast, noise, and image processing speed. this is obviously extremely important, and has nothing to do with wether or not you shoot RAW.

'those with the same resolution perform the same'.

that's utter craziness. does an off brand 'ebay only' 10 megapixel point and shoot have the same performance quality as a d200? of course not. and you hardly even mentioned sensor size, which has a huge difference in image quality and appearance.

lenses do matter a ton. I would venture to say that they still are more important in some situations than the body (most of the time this argument is like 'should i get the d200 and kit lens or a d70 and some nice glass? I wont be buying anything else in the next few years'). but the body is definitely important.

fmw said:
|
I'd have to disagree with you just as mr. thebeginnging did.

The body matters just as much as the lens. The sensor technology and the amplification methods matter and there's a definite reason to pay for larger/better sensor and camera.

Most reactions

Back