Nikon vs Canon

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JenR, Nov 18, 2006.

1. JenR

JenR TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know some people are passionate about Nikon cameras. There are probably just as many people passionate about their Canon cameras. Can someone please summarize the basic differences between the two?

I haven't purchased and SLR, so I don't have an allegiance to any manufacturer yet. So what is so awesome about Nikons? What is cool about the Canons? Come on, persuade me to join your "team" :wink:

~jen

2. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

There's really no difference.

Both companies produce amazing products, both bodies and lenses, at very similar products. Any 'advantages' one has over the other are so miniscule that unless you're a world-class pro you won't notice them. You would be happy with either system.

Here's the best test: Go to a camera store and hold a camera from each company in the price range you want. Whichever one feels better in your hands, buy. That's all you really need to know. Get a camera that feels good in your hands. For me, the Canon Rebel XT was so small I thought I'd drop it while the Nikon D50 felt so solid that I was instantly sold. I've had friends go Canon because in their hands it felt different. Neither of us were wrong - the bodies appeal to different people - get whichever one feels right.

3. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i totally agree with tiberius here.
    go and hold them.

even better, make friends with someone who owns a nikon and with someone who owns a similar canon... then borrow their cameras and go test-shooting and see with wich one you produce better images ;) .. it is always the combination of the camera and the photographer.

you have to be more careful though, in which pricerange you buy the body and what lenses. we don't know your budget.

4. Mad_Gnome

Mad_Gnome TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most camera shops will also let you test fire a few frames through a couple of cameras. That may help you make your decision. If you feel you want a more thorough test of each camera, bodies and lenses are typically available to rent for the day.

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    True, but i realised that the light in camera shops is often awful and it is hard to learn something about the camera there ...

.. and at least in Germany renting a lens is not very cheap, so you would not do that with too many different lenses ;)

6. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    What has been advised above is IMHO fairly accurate. Having shot both Canon and Nikon, there is one difference that might play a roll in your decision depending on the type of photography you are interested in. Canon cameras have less noise in their photos than Nikon cameras when the ISO is pushed to 400 or above. If you are an avid sports shooter or nature shooter dealing in low light situations it might be something to consider.

If this is not you interest then my recomendation would be to look beyond just the camera. When you invest in a DSLR you are buying a system, not a camera. Which company has the lense range, flashes and other accesories that are important to you. Once you enter the world of DSLR it is not uncommon to upgrade camera bodies every couple of years. Lenses, taken care of, will last a life time. If you have a good camera shop locally, play with them, with some of the accessories you are interested in. A battery grip alone can make a camera body feel completely different.

7. Shakka Brah

Shakka Brah TPF Noob!

canon sounds cooler than nikon, right.
    I like that I got an American made camera, other people dont care. The camera shop idea is the best one that has been posted so far.(Unless you canon does sound cooler than nikon)

8. geoffe

geoffe TPF Noob!

I could not agree more with the "hold the camera" and feel it. If you like the way it feels, smells, tastes and operates, you are probably more likely to use it. I have used many cameras and prefer Canon, but I also shoot Rollei, Holga, Mamiya and I would never ever buy a camera that did not feel good in my hands.

9. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

American made camera? Where? :meh:

Camera brand is simply a personal preference. There's no "better" - some people like one more than the other.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

Canon's Japanese too.

11. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What camera do you have? Canon is a Japanese company and as far as I know all their cameras are made in Japan, do they have a American manufacturing facility?

12. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

If you have no allegiance yet, you have more options than just Canon and Nikon. :D