Nikon vs Sigma vs Tamron 18-200+mm lens?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking at some used 18-200+mm lens for my Nikon D5100. Honestly I'm looking at anything from Nikkor 18-105mm and up lens, this is a lens I would use as a walkaround vacation lens and when it's just not appropriate to change lens all the time. I'm going the used route sense I don't want to pay too much for a lens:

Lens I'm looking at:
Sigma DC OS HSM 18-200mm
Tamron XR Di-II 18-200mm
Tamron Di II VC LD 18-270mm

Other Considerations:
Nikkor 18-105mm
Nikkor 18-70mm
Nikkor 18-135mm

Give them a look on here and compare.
DxOMark - Camera Lens Database
One thing to remember is that Nikkor will retain compatability with future camera bodies. There is no guarantee 3rd party lenses will.

Um. Its a DX lens. Compability ?

The Canon Powershot G1 X, the Fujifilm X100, the upcoming Sony RX100, the Sony Alpha Nex cameras, and others, are all coming with APS-C sized, or near APS-C sized, sensors already.

So, looking at the upcoming D600, I suspect DX to vanish in the long run anyway.

Um. Its a DX lens. Compability ?

The Canon Powershot G1 X, the Fujifilm X100, the upcoming Sony RX100, the Sony Alpha Nex cameras, and others, are all coming with APS-C sized, or near APS-C sized, sensors already.

So, looking at the upcoming D600, I suspect DX to vanish in the long run anyway.

Not very helpful in my question.

So I took the plunge and got the Nikkor 18-70mm, I was seeing reviews that this was a very under appreciated lens and the price was pretty good. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Since I already have the Nikkor 55-200mm, which I like, especially getting certain types of portrait shots, it's clear and it gives to me an appealing bokeh at its widest. So anyways I didn't want to much overlap, either way I think I did well in my selection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back