Nikon vs. Sony vs. Canon.

Forget all this camera body nonsense (seriously they just love a good flame war they do :lmao:). This has caught my eye in your comments.

Anyhow, I mostly shot "macro" and with my current lens (18-70) I also crop my pictures a lot, just to get as close as possible without massivly ruining the quality of the picture... yes, I'm also planning on buying a macro lens, but first comes the camera. :D

When it comes to choosing the right camera system its not all about bodies - infact because they upgrade and fall out of use so fast in comparison to lenses the bodies are of secondary concern mostly - its the lenses you want to look to. Canon and Nikon have very diverse ranges (both high and low cost options) whilst some companies like sony have a good pro range, but can sometimes lack in cheaper options in some areas - and vis versa. (edit forgot that sony took the Minolta lenses which greatly increases the lens market for them! )

Anyway since you say you shoot a lot of macro already I'm going to say go for Canon - not because their macro lenses are any better than Nikons, but because of the chance that you might get into high magnification macro work and for there canon has one unique lens - the MPE 65mm macro - its specailist and tricky to use, but a very good high magnifiaction lens.

I don't recomend that you just jump right in aiming at this lens and I would say get a 100mm macro (the original or the new L version) a Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm, 150mm etc.. (they vary by budget and features and its a slightly different discussion; but are all optically sound and sharp). And then play around and move toward higher magnifiaction before jumping for a tricky and expensive lens that you might not like.

So you've got friends you can shoot with who like canon - you already like the canon body from looking at it and you like macro - time to go Canon :mrgreen:

I have to agree with overread about the macro. I really wish I had gone with canon just for that mpe65. But at the time I didnt know Id really like macro. But Im still in love with my d90. Its better to look at the lens setup of each brand. The modern dslr bodys are all going to give you good results.

Look for a body that has a good VIEWFINDER. Seriously. Compare the quality of the viewfinder image...its clarity,its ease of viewing, and its eye relief if you wear eyeglasses. The ability to look through the camera and actually SEE what is going on is in my experience, a key factor in how well one can actually shoot a particular camera. Some cameras have vastly better viewfinders than other cameras. Usually, viewfinder quality goes hand in hand with price and position within a manufacturer's product lineup. "Some" manufacturers seem to produce better viewfinders than "other" manufacturers, despite varying price points.

Pentamirror systems are virtually always inferior to pentaprism systems. Cameras that have oversized mirrors also work better with very long focal length lenses, like 500 and 600mm lenses, which can be important if you plan on using one of today's 50-500, 200-500,or other long focal length lenses. (The problem one can encounter with a regular-sized mirror is called mirror cut-off,and is a problem with quite a number of low-end cameras with long focal length lenses.)

I have to agree with overread about the macro. I really wish I had gone with canon just for that mpe65.

You can still go with the MP-E 65 and a used Canon "Rebel" body*... and keep the Nikon for now. Most experienced macro shooters who use the MP-E 65 also use (a) 1:1 macro lens(es) like the Sigma 105.

Older "Rebel" bodies can be had for dirt cheap and have sensors that are certainly good enough. IMO

I am going to have to be the odd man out and disagree with everyone :)

For me, the primary concern is not body features (they change too rapidly), lenses (all of the big boys have enough lenses you can do anything you want anyway) or experience (Sony has very little compared to Nikon or Canon). What matters to me is how well the camera and you get along.

Go to a store, pick up equivalent bodies from as many manufacturer's as they have, ignore the name and price, play with them, scroll through the menus, take some pictures, feel it in your hand, take note of the viewfinder, menu structure, placement and feel of the controls. The one that just "feels right" is the one you should buy.

A Nikon D40 you love to shoot with beats the Canon 1DM4 you leave at home, or, the Canon Rebel you enjoy beats the Nikon D3 you leave at home. Any camera you use can take good photographs, no camera left at home will take any pictures at all.

Now some people will say that the bodies change so rapidly that the "feeling" doesn't matter. I disagree. The first SLR I ever bought new was a Nikon FG (still have two of them), it amazingly has the same general "feel" as my D90, and D80, and N90s, and FA, and FM2n, etc etc.

Allan

I am going to have to be the odd man out and disagree with everyone :)

For me, the primary concern is not body features (they change too rapidly), lenses (all of the big boys have enough lenses you can do anything you want anyway) or experience (Sony has very little compared to Nikon or Canon). What matters to me is how well the camera and you get along.

Go to a store, pick up equivalent bodies from as many manufacturer's as they have, ignore the name and price, play with them, scroll through the menus, take some pictures, feel it in your hand, take note of the viewfinder, menu structure, placement and feel of the controls. The one that just "feels right" is the one you should buy.

A Nikon D40 you love to shoot with beats the Canon 1DM4 you leave at home, or, the Canon Rebel you enjoy beats the Nikon D3 you leave at home. Any camera you use can take good photographs, no camera left at home will take any pictures at all.

Now some people will say that the bodies change so rapidly that the "feeling" doesn't matter. I disagree. The first SLR I ever bought new was a Nikon FG (still have two of them), it amazingly has the same general "feel" as my D90, and D80, and N90s, and FA, and FM2n, etc etc.

Allan

Totally agree. They are both great systems. I liked the handling, feel, buttons and menu layout better on the Nikon.

If really into borrowing lenses are fine then Canon may be your cup of tea.

But way too many put so much emphasis of this sensor vs. that sensor, Noise, ISO ,etc. That they forget it is just as important to minimize frustration. And the ergonomics,controls and menu's to getting the shot.

When it comes to glass both systems have great glass and either would fill the bill for the growing photographer. Including Sigma & Tamron for both systems.

The other thing that sold me on Nikon was CLS flash system which has no equal in my opinion of flexibility and options.

I am no expert or pro. So take my recommends with a grain or two.
But think you can't go wrong with either systems. So go to a store and handle a few before deciding.

If you run with a group of friends that shoot Canon and they're cool with sharing lenses/accessories, it makes perfect sense to buy a new Canon so you're not the odd man out. It also helps shorten the learning curve if you can pick the brains of your buddies with more experience using that particular brand.

Either way, both Nikon and Canon make great bodies that offer some of the best performance available.

I would get some shutter time at your local camera store with the models you're considering. Most folks have pretty strong opinions as to what make offers the bodies that best fit them. Erogonomics, location of the controls, weight, menu layout, etc. all play a role in the overall "feel" of a body. I don't think I could ever buy a totally new body without first being able to fiddle with it to make sure it fits me.

The other thing that sold me on Nikon was CLS flash system which has no equal in my opinion of flexibility and options.
From what I understand (because I'm not as familiar with the Nikon CLS system) is that Canon's is about the same now with what they introduced in the 7D (and will be in the 60D): wirelessly trigger four channels and three groups with the pop up. Some features aren't the be-all-end-all, but it was a feature that Canon was sorely lacking for a long time. It's nice to see them finally include that in their cameras.

From what I understand (because I'm not as familiar with the Nikon CLS system) is that Canon's is about the same now with what they introduced in the 7D (and will be in the 60D): wirelessly trigger four channels and three groups with the pop up. Some features aren't the be-all-end-all, but it was a feature that Canon was sorely lacking for a long time. It's nice to see them finally include that in their cameras.

It's hardly "the same"...here...read up from a master Canon off-camera flash user...Canon has miles to go...

My Canon Speedlite Wishlist | PixSylated by Syl Arena ? Honestly-Biased Insights on Photography

It's hardly "the same"...here...read up from a master Canon off-camera flash user...Canon has miles to go...

My Canon Speedlite Wishlist | PixSylated by Syl Arena ? Honestly-Biased Insights on Photography

The guy brings up some decent points, but I find it funny a number of his complaints are just about layout, names, and button placements. Good read. :thumbup:

While the 7Ds flash system is a marked improvement, it's still not up to Nikon's CLS systems speed. Once you get used to the Canon system though it's not all that bad... But it could use some improvement for sure.

I wish one of the big two would do something totally off the wall and integrate wireless technology into their bodies and flashes. Until then, I'll continue to use 3rd party triggers as they still trump CLS and Canons built in system in my book. I have little use for the current native flashed based trigger systems and neither of my bodies even have a built in flash (and I don't miss it).

I'm all for Canon becoming equal on Nikon's CLS level. As it the user's that benefits and one less contention that the new user has to consider when deciding on one or the other system. As many don't know going in. Just how much flash will play in their development as a photographer.

Competition is good. And would not like seeing either having a Monopoly. Tho Canon seems to have the numbers. Which is more about Marketing and being Seen then Nikon's more apathetic approach to marketing and penetration.

Thanks guys for all the advice, but I changed my mind a bit...

Today I actually went to a shop to try some of the DSLR's available... And at first I only wanted to try Nikon D90 and Canon 550D, but than I saw that they have Canon EOS 50D on sale -> body + 17-85 lens = 1000eur.

SOOO, I thought to myself - why not? What do you guys think?

Unless you want the video feature of the 550D the 50D is a very capable midrange 1.6 crop camera body and will serve you very well for a long time.

I'd be the most excited by the range of the 17-85 lens, although as Matt pointed out, the newer 15-85 Canon lens seems to be a notably better lens--"newer is better" being kind of a lens design concept that seems to hold a lot of sway. I dunno though...HONESTLY, I think I would pass on a 50D,and go for the newer 60D because it has some features that I think are very handy: the main one being color-aware light metering. In the "affordable" camera segment of Canon's lineup, only the Canon 7D and the new 60D have the new, color-aware light metering, which is IMO, one of the single biggest advantages Nikon has long had over other camera makers. Now, Canon has developed its own color-aware light metering,using a new 4-color measuring system, and is phasing it in to its cameras, and I think that feature is one that a majority of shooters will really come to like a lot. Color-aware metering helps with both continuous light, and with flash metering,and the 60D will have that, and should be on the market very soon.

I do understand however, the allure of a 50D and a genuine Canon 17-85 lens for 1,000 Euro...that's a lot of camera and lens for that much money...I dunno...the choice is really up to you. The video feature is a new thing, and it seems to be getting better and better. But right now, early September---I think you need to be aware that new NIkons and new Canon bodies are going to be in stores very soon, and that this might be one of those times where it pays to wait and actually check out the new models instead of buying a camera from basically, three cycles backward in time...mostly to prevent some type of buyer's remorse and cognitive dissonance problems, not because the 50D is horrible or anything. I don;t know you, or your beliefs about camera gear, but I do think it's smart to buy early in a product cycle,rather than later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back