nikon white balance

viviansungg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello, I use nikon d5500 and I recently just know that the nikon d5500 doesn't have kelvin temps, but instead just A-B G-M. Anything could help to adjust proper custom white balance? How to adjust a-b g-m to be the same as the kelvin temp? Thank you very much :)

Have you studied pages 137 - 141 of your D5500 User Manual?

Many of those that shoot Raw files make a photo with a calibrated gray card in it for use setting a custom white balance with their Raw converter application post process.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My gray card lives on my key chain with my press ID badge.

Best $8 I have EVER spent to improve the consistency of my photos.

Have you studied pages 137 - 141 of your D5500 User Manual?

Many of those that shoot Raw files make a photo with a calibrated gray card in it for use setting a custom white balance with their Raw converter application post process.

Read the Manual.gif

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The A-B, G-M adjustment in your camera is a fine-tune adjustment that will apply a relative bias to whatever WB is set for JPEG rendering. Your camera has 11 WB presets you can select from. Each of those preset has an associated color temp in degrees K.

1. (sodium-vapor lamps): 2700 K
2. (incandescent)/(warm-white fluorescent.): 3000 K
3. (white fluorescent): 3700 K
4. (cool-white fluorescent): 4200 K
5. (day white fluorescent): 5000 K
6. (direct sunlight): 5200 K
7. (flash): 5400 K
8. (cloudy): 6000 K
9. (daylight fluorescent): 6500 K
10. (high temp. mercury-vapor): 7200 K
11. (shade): 8000 K

If you use the A-B, G-M adjustment the bias entered there will apply to all of the above presets as well as a Preset Manual WB.

You can use one of the presets or you can set a custom WB with a reference card. From the WB menu -> Preset Manual -> Measure and follow the screen prompts. You can buy a WB reference card or you can cut a piece of white Styrofoam from a food tray/take-out container. You'll need a new Preset Manual WB value when you change lighting conditions.

The other option is to set WB from a reference card during raw conversion processing. When taking photos just make sure and catch a shot of the reference card in the same light. You can then read the card in your raw conversion software and transfer those values to the photos taken in the same light. In this the WB setting on the camera is meaningless.

Joe

white_balance.jpg

Most reactions

Back