Nikon working with Canon (Sonic and Mario Did it)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Idahophoto, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everyone, any of you use the Nikon SB-900 Flash with a Canon SLR ( Mainly EOS 50D) I love this flash and find the 580 EX2 just does not compete. Yeah, I know the Camera wont read it when placed on the hot shoe, but I always use them off camera and plan on grabbing some Pocket wizards. So from what I can tell it would be the PW telling the Nikon Flash to fire not the Canon Camera. Should work the other way around to.

I have heard of people doing this with say the older SB-24 Flash so it should work here I would think, but the deference in PW for Canon and Nikon has made me wonder. I plan on going with the Mini TT1 and Flex TT5's. The Nikon version don't seem to be out yet looking at the website so that's a concern. Anyways thought maybe some of you might be able to give me some insight. I plan on getting a few 430 EX2's if I can't get the 900.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You shouldn't have any problem, if you are firing the flash in manual via a Pocket Wzard....but I don't think you will be able to use E-TTL via the TT Pocket Wizards.

But you are right, the Nikon version isn't out yet...so I guess it's yet to be seen whether you would be able to interchange Canon & Nikon units.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit

what about the nikon is better than the canon?

(I don't have either flash)

You should be ok as long as the flash supports the old X-sync on center pin and the trigger voltage is in check. Of course you'll either work in manual or have the flash meter on its own.