Nikon Zoom Lens

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to get a zoom lens for my Nikon D40. I was looking at these

1)[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Nikon Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens[/FONT]
Cost: $230 and will autofocus with my D40
- Does anyone have experience with this lens? Should I go for it?
2) 60-300 F4-5.6 TOKINA SZ-X MACRO AIS

In this condition:

[FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial][SIZE=-1]"Excellent Plus: 90-96% of the original condition. Shows moderate wear. May have slight marks on finish. Glass very clean."[/SIZE][/FONT]

Cost: $76 used; will have to manual focus, but allows for more zoom. And based on this chart

I guess my question is, is it worth giving the 60-300 a shot? (because it will get me closer/leave more money for a macro lens) Has anyone bought from Keh? Or does anyone have anyother suggestions for a zoom lens.

Thanks for the help.

Look at the Nikon 70-300 if you want one that will be that long. I would say get a lens that will autofocus. You will probably find yourself wishing you had. I also own the D40 so I have the same problems:) This is my next purchase:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435161-USA/Sigma_569306_70_200mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

Many Sigma lenses work with the D40. The 55-200 is a great bargin but I think the 70-300 AF-S is a better lens if you can save a little more for it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-USA/Nikon_2161_70_300mm_f_4_5_6G_AF_S_VR.html

It is said to have better picture quality from 70-200 than the 55-200mm lens does and it is built better (metal mount vs Plastic on the 55-200).

Yeah I think that those two lenses are out of my range for now. As of now I am thinking I may try out the used one, and since it is pretty cheap I will have more money to go for another lens later on. But I still want to hear others opinions.

just get something with AF-S or HSM in the name.

Are you saying that if you get a zomm/telephoto lens that you pretty much need autofocus? Do you have any suggestions? (is the lens I chose good?)

I have the 55-200vr and i can say its a very good lens. I am looking to upgrade it though and get the 70-300vr. If 200 is as far as you need, it will serve you very well

Thanks Stranger!

Yeah that is the only thing that is keeping me from buying right now. I am not sure if 200 is enough. Do you have some pics with your lens that you can show me?

I just ordered the D40 and am saving for the AF-S 70-300. The 200 would probably be okay a lot of times, but I don't want to miss a great photo because I can't get in close enough. I figure I'll only purchase a zoom lens once (since I"m getting a good quality one), why not save an extra month and get the one that I know will meet all my needs. It sounds like the same philosophy might suit you as well.

Not to mention it being better built:)

If it helps, this was shot today with a D40 and the Nikon 70 -300 AF-s VR

The lighting was harsh but I really like the lens

Attachments

• $DSC_01900001gorilla1.JPG
    $DSC_01900001gorilla1.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 101
Thanks I have not decided between the 55-200 or the 70-300 but it seems the later will pay off more in the end.

Another question I know AF-S auto focuses with the D40 is that it? because my friend is under the impression that AF-D will as well. (I don't usually believe him with this stuff that is why I am coming to you guys)

Edit: Actually I have done some research and from what I have found he is full of rubbish.

If it helps, this was shot today with a D40 and the Nikon 70 -300 AF-s VR

The lighting was harsh but I really like the lens

Thanks that helps a lot!

Thanks for all the help I think I am going to go with the 55-200 VR Af-s.

One last question, would it be stupid to get the same lens without the VR?

From the reviews I've read, the VR is definately worth the money and helps prevent blurry photos really well when zoomed in. Definately get the VR lens.

Most reactions

Back