NikonD3000 and this lense?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ababysean, Apr 30, 2010.

1. ababysean

ababysean TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It will auto focus just not on your camera. You would need the one in your second link (It needs to say AF-S)

The first one works on more expensive bodies that have the autofocus motor on the body, whereas yours needs the autofocus motor to be in the lens.

I have the 35mm and it's a great lens.

3. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The D3000 and D5000 cameras can only auto focus with lenses that have the focus motor built into the lens. Current Nikon lenses with built-in motors are labeled as "AF-S". A handful of older ones were labeled "AF-I". Tamron lenses with built in focus motors are labeled "BIM", while Sigma labels theirs "HSM".

If you want to auto-focus with the "AF" lenses that have a screw drive, you need a D90 or better Nikon camera with the focus motor and drive in the camera body.

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

It is hard to say which is better. It depends on what you are going after. If you compare a lens based on AF, yes the AF-S 35mm lens is better since the lens can AF with your camera. However, since the focal length of these 2 lenses are different, therefore comparing them become meaningless.

For example, a manual transmission full size truck is better or a small 4 doors Prius with automatic transmission is better?

If you find that you need to use a 50mm f/1.8 lens, you will then need to get the 50mm lens.

5. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want to use a 50mm lens on the D3000, you have other options that can auto-focus with the low-end Nikon DSLRs, like the $440 Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G or the $500 Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM.