TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
as my quest to find the best camera (my myself) continues the new questions is:
Nikon D80
nikon D200

I understand that the D80 is a smaller camera w/ easer to use features
the D200 is more of a pro. grade camera it's bigger and more features to make a noob go crazy. but grow in to as your experance grows

is the D200 to much of a camera for a noob??

I will be using it with nikon 18-70 and 70-300 glass I know this it not the best glass out there but once it get my technique down I will upgrade to higher end glass.

there not that much price difference between this pKG with the D80 and the D200...maybe a few hundred bucks.

any thoughts....
thanks

I just bought my wife one (D-200) who is fairly new at photography and she enjoys using it. I use Nikon's myself (D2X) and I like the fact that if mine stops working I can grab hers and carry on. If the D-80 used CF cards instead of SD cards I may have gotten a D-80 for her to start with.

Answer to your question, It's up to you. You could always get the D-80 and the few hundred dollars you save upgrade the glass you put on it. I think that would make a bigger difference in your photos than the camera body you buy.

Buy what you can afford If you can see upgrading later and can afford it now why waste you money and time with the D80.

What do you plan on doing with photography? Business, professional, hobby? Your needs can and should dictate what you get. My personal choice would be to get the D80 and get a nice lens. You can take spectacular pictures with both cameras, and if you don't get the lens, the extra few hundred bucks isn't just pocket change. Unless you're rich..., in which case, it wouldn't matter that much anyway.

Whoa! looks like we live in the same town. I am psyched.

I own a D200 and love it. I work at the News & Guide and all the photogs have D200's. I find it to be very user friendly. Mostly because I do not do well with icons and presets. If you can afford it go with D200 package. You will not out grow the camera. The kit lens is ok and super convenient. It will certainly last until you can save for something better.

What do you plan on doing with photography? Business, professional, hobby? Your needs can and should dictate what you get. My personal choice would be to get the D80 and get a nice lens. You can take spectacular pictures with both cameras, and if you don't get the lens, the extra few hundred bucks isn't just pocket change. Unless you're rich..., in which case, it wouldn't matter that much anyway.
I think as far as a body goes your wallet and wants should determine what you get if you want a D200 or a D2x for that matter and all you want to do with it is shoot snapshots of your children that should not keep you from getting it if you can afford it.

I have both and both are really very good cameras. The D200 is in my opinion a bit easier to use right out of the box because I'm used to buttons on the camera, having used an F4s for nearly twenty years. Both have a plethora of choices once you dive into the menues but the 200 has a bit more flexibility in it's choices. The D80 has an in-camera 'fix-it' menu and some on-camera scene settings. I've never used these - don't know if it's any good or not. I don't thonk youll be disapointed in either one.

edit: this very question is constantly being revisited on the Nikon forums.

as my quest to find the best camera (my myself) continues the new questions is:
Nikon D80
nikon D200

I understand that the D80 is a smaller camera w/ easer to use features
the D200 is more of a pro. grade camera it's bigger and more features to make a noob go crazy. but grow in to as your experance grows

is the D200 to much of a camera for a noob??

I will be using it with nikon 18-70 and 70-300 glass I know this it not the best glass out there but once it get my technique down I will upgrade to higher end glass.

there not that much price difference between this pKG with the D80 and the D200...maybe a few hundred bucks.

any thoughts....
thanks

the reason that someone would raise this question is usually a $$$ concern.....whether it is worth spending the extra few hundred bucks......i would buy a D80 (which i did).........you can use a D80 for quite a long while and when you become an expert in the field and decided that you need something better (faster & stronger)...than you can invest your money on a something better like a D2X or newer models......

if $$$ is not a concern...then by all means go ahead and get a D200....no doubt it is better than D80 for the extra few hundred bucks.....is just a matter of willingness....are you willing to spend extra few hundred bucks on features that dont matter to you? (faster shutter, metal body, do you care?)....or you do need to extra features?

my 2 cents (as a NooB)... if you are someone that is new to SLRs, then the D80 wins easily since it has very similar features, but the all important AUTO MODE!!! i am learning to use my D80 manually, but when frustration sets in and your shot is all noisy and dark (and you really want that shot) then it is really nice to throw it in auto mode, get the shot, then see what the camera did that you didn't. ;-)it's like the camera said "ok, you failed, but check out the settings i did on the LCD for the next time you shoot." i don't think this is something the D200 will allow the rookie to do.the D80 is a great entry level DSLR and i would pick it over the D40 (i did as i returned the D40 within 2 days). with the D80's technology, 10MP, and full manual/auto modes, it has a lot to offer.

Go for the D80, Body only, and use the extra money for a good lens. The 18-135 is okay, but it's not anything to write home about. ;)

my 2 cents (as a NooB)... if you are someone that is new to SLRs, then the D80 wins easily since it has very similar features, but the all important AUTO MODE!!! i am learning to use my D80 manually, but when frustration sets in and your shot is all noisy and dark (and you really want that shot) then it is really nice to throw it in auto mode, get the shot, then see what the camera did that you didn't. ;-)it's like the camera said "ok, you failed, but check out the settings i did on the LCD for the next time you shoot." i don't think this is something the D200 will allow the rookie to do.the D80 is a great entry level DSLR and i would pick it over the D40 (i did as i returned the D40 within 2 days). with the D80's technology, 10MP, and full manual/auto modes, it has a lot to offer.
All cameras from the D40 to the D2X have an auto mode it's called "Program" and most DSLRs will tell you every setting on your camera when you shot the picture this data is attached to the image file so this should not be a concern. If money is a concern yes go with the D80 but if you can afford it and justify it to yourself especially if you may upgrade later why not go with a camera now that you can grow into rather than a camera you may grow out of and want to upgrade later.

thanks every one! I think I am going with:
D80 (if I can find one in stock..LOL)
18-70
70-300
oh and HI crag :)

I'm a Canon shooter and I know I can't help much. but if you are serious about photography and taking tons of pics and you don't mind actually READING your manual then you should go for the D200 (assuming you have money leftover for glass that isn't crap at this point). I learned my Rebel XT in and out in 1 week. I bought it for (money reasons mostly) but also because I didn't want to get in over my head with features.
But since then I've asked a photographer to let me hold his EOS 20D with a 70-200mm f/4 IS L lense and WOW did it amaze me. But more importantly about the body, I have read the 20D and RebelXT are equal in performance, the 20D just shoots faster, has more custom functions, and is made of metal. But I accidentally took 2 shots in burst, and I can amaze my point and shoot buddies with my 3FPS but I always think of the beauty in the 5 FPS and kick myself for not getting a used 20D for the same price. also the professional bodies are designed to be EASIER in a sense because pros need ot adjust things faster. I found the wheel on the back for navigating so much better than my 4 way directional arrows. I mean, true the XT is better for starters, but I have already learned it and know I could have handled something more. Just try not to think of what you're missing, or use a nicer camera, all it does is make you feel worse about your own camera.

Well, for a Noob, I would actually recommend a D50 and money left over for more lenses and/or a flash. Extra lenses will give you far more capability than the fancy camera body, IMO.

Most reactions

Back