Nikon's New 70-300 AF-P f/4.5-5.6 VR Full-Frame lens

I've found some of my old lenses on the d500 has issues. I found my old 85/1.8 af-d. It needs AF FINE TUNE of -8.
I'm selling it .. thought I sold it long ago

I thought that lens was pretty good? Or was that before 24mp sensors became the norm?
This is the 85mm AF-D f/1.8 *not* the 85mm AF-D F/1.4 nor the newer variants 85mm G 1.8 nor 1.4.

The old f/1.8 doesn't compare well when next to it's f/1.4 big brother. It was made back in 1994 and the original "AF" version goes back to 1987. It does well just I tried it on the D500 which seems to not like it as much as my FF cameras.

Doesn't Nikon still make one of these older 85 AF-D lenses?
Nikon still makes some AF-D and some Manual lenses.
But not the 85mm f/1.8 nor f/1.4
they do still make the PC-E Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D (aka Tilt - Shift) lens for $2k.

I've always been fond of their AF-D lenses, they just have an aesthetic to them that isn't found on today's lenses. But obviously modern lenses today from Nikon are usually better optically.

btw, looking at the pictures on the NikonUSA.com website, they do have it on a D750.
And the lens *does* have switches unlike it's DX AF-P versions.
Top switch is a A/M-Ma-M
lower switch looks to be a VR ON/OFF.

So I'm guessing it won't need much of a software fix as the lens has the physical switches, whereas the DX versions do not have any physical switches.

hey .. the price on the nikonusa.com website went UP too. It was $699.95 .. now it's $749.95 !! from what I recall. As I started looking on the web for discounts from the retail price.

Isn't their prices always a tad higher on their site, but slightly less on sites like Amazon and B&H?
Remember, Amazon is a reseller of resellers or a board for reseller to sell on. They don't actually inventory products as a industry reseller in the original sense of the word. You're normally buying something from Amazon from someone else. Unless it was sold to amazon (at a presumably deep discount) then Amazon resells.

But yes Nikon and Most manufacturers will keep their prices at retail. Or when they do a discount they will forwarn resellers of a discount coming up that they then also offer. otherwise resellers will be competing directly against the manufacturer (and generally lose).

I recall a company that competed directly against their resellers and then had the resellers stop reselling the product. They stopped that quite quickly as this affects mass distribution and getting product in front of consumers.

But the retail price went UP from yesterday on their website.
just like the change the compatibility info.

I've always been fond of their AF-D lenses, they just have an aesthetic to them that isn't found on today's lenses. But obviously modern lenses today from Nikon are usually better optically.
I have mostly AF-D lenses .. 18-35, 24-85, 80-200, 50, 85
had others in the past .. 24, 300, 75-300, etc.
By going AF-D I was able to save $$$ and get better bodies for more advanced features.

By going AF-D I was able to save $$$ and get better bodies for more advanced features.

I did that f0r a while. I miss it now. AF-S motors and VR sometimes go out, and it costs a small fortune to correct.

I did that f0r a while. I miss it now. AF-S motors and VR sometimes go out, and it costs a small fortune to correct.
Yes the 28-70/2.8 was notorious for AF-S going out. I was going to upgrade to that from the 35-70 but read too much about it and the 24-70 was too much $$$.

I like the focus override in modern lenses. It comes in handy when you are quickly shooting through something like soccer nets to the distant player, or getting the focus closer before the AF actually finally gets it.

You still have your 50mm

Indeed! The AF-S motor did die on my former 28-70 2.8. That cost me like $300.00. Once I got the lens back, I sold it.
I wanted to go all AF-D then, but went for the 24-70 2.8. And guess what? My 70-200 2.8 is coming back from the shop. VR died.
Yep, another $300.00! I'm so considering making the move back to all AF-D, but..... I'd miss the 24-70 & 70-200.
Yep my 50mm and Tokina are both AF. No worries there, ha!

Did you get the 70-200 used?
Yes. About 3 years ago... keh.com BGN grade. It was awesome 'till recently... an internal screw came loose. jammed the VR and often the zoom.
Nikon wanted $600.00 to correct it. keh.com wanted $600.00. Midwest Camera Repair... $300.00 Boom!

Did you get the 70-200 used?
Yes. About 3 years ago... keh.com BGN grade. It was awesome 'till recently... an internal screw came loose. jammed the VR and often the zoom.
Nikon wanted $600.00 to correct it. keh.com wanted $600.00. Midwest Camera Repair... $300.00 Boom!

So it was bargain grade which means it was probably used A LOT and it was a ticking time bomb anyways. So you should have known that there's a possibility that it may fail someday in some fashion or another. I wouldn't blame Nikon.

True. It is slightly abused in appearance. Ha! At least I got 3 years out of it before the failure.
And even with the $300.00 repair, my combined total price is still 50% of new. No worries.

So it was bargain grade which means it was probably used A LOT and it was a ticking time bomb anyways. So you should have known that there's a possibility that it may fail someday in some fashion or another. I wouldn't blame Nikon.
The 28-70s had a history of dying, even new out of the box. So him getting 3 years out of it before dying sounds like a miracle.

I think the 28-70 was one of the fist AF-S lenses that they made.

The 28-70s had a history of dying, even new out of the box. So him getting 3 years out of it before dying sounds like a miracle.

I was talking about the 70-200 2.8. I'm aware of the common issue with the 28-70.

The darn 28-70 F2.8 died on me during a shoot in Austin. I slapped my 50mm 1.4D on and kept shooting. Boom! Now that lens is a keeper!

forgot to mention.
Ken Rockwell has his review of the lens the other day.
It's like he copied and pasted info from other places as it was so fast !!
Nikon 70-300mm VR FX AF-P Review

Most reactions

Back