Nikon's tripods

JJL77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Nikon's line of tripods?
I need something that's steady but not over $100.

The D50 with 70-300ED lens will be my heaviest setup. What do you think that weights?

The D50 weighs about 1.2 lbs (plus whatever little bit the battery weighs)and the 70-300mm ED weighs 1.14 lbs. As for the Nikon tripods, I can't help you there. I've seen some decent looking Velbons for under $100, you might want to check those out.

Actually, after further research I've desided on the following tripod...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3001BN Tripod (Black) with 486RC2 Compact Balllhead (Quick Release) - Supports 11 lb (5 kg) $151.00[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...from B&H photo.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm a little confused on the different heads and what the advantages are of each kind but I like the concept behind the ballhead.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you think this is a good set-up for a beginner's tripod?[/FONT]

A lot of it is just personal preference for the various types outs there, the other part is usually how much weight they can support. Some love ball heads for more flexibility, others prefer pan/tilt. I think you'd be very happy with that combo.

Also, if you do decide to go with B&H, please click our B&H button at the bottom of the page and we'll get credit for your purchase. Helps to suppor the site :D

i bought a Sunpak Platinum Plus 6400UT at best buy for 49.95. i use the same setup you have and cannot be more pleased.

JJL77 said:
Actually, after further research I've desided on the following tripod...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3001BN Tripod (Black) with 486RC2 Compact Balllhead (Quick Release) - Supports 11 lb (5 kg) $151.00[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...from B&H photo.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm a little confused on the different heads and what the advantages are of each kind but I like the concept behind the ballhead.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you think this is a good set-up for a beginner's tripod?[/FONT]
That sounds like a good choice. I went through the whole tripod selection process last week and ended up with a Manfrotto 3001BPRO with the 322RC2 head...from B&H Photo. From my research it seems you can't go wrong with a Manfrotto. I've had mine for a few days and I really like it. Easy set up and use and it's very solid. I like the grip action ball head, it is much quicker to adjust than messing with a screw type.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back