Nikons.

Ma_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Starting to save up some money for a new camera, I was wondering, what are your opinions on the Nikon D-50 and the Nikon D-70.
Surely there isn't much of a difference... right?

You might want to have a look at this thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34766

I have a D70s myself and would recommend it to anybody. Then again someone posted tonight that they got the D50 kit for under $800 shipped overnight. Which is a lot less than I paid. I don't think they are making the D70 anymore. You will have to find a close out/used one. Its the d70s, now.

Dweller- I have also Considered the Canon EOS D-Rebel XT.
Digital Flower Pictures- I've seen the D-70 in many places, they seem to still be making them... Or selling them off.

I seem to recall the D-70s is a slight bump in features.. it may be worthwhile to compare to the D-70 before purchasing.

Ma_ said:
Digital Flower Pictures- I've seen the D-70 in many places, they seem to still be making them... Or selling them off.

I am almost positive they don't make them anymore. I bought my D70s a couple of months ago and thought I would consider the D70 but when I tried to find locally everybody was sold out of the kit. A couple of places had the body only. Several websites listed the D70 but when you clicked through to try and purchase they would say 'out of stock'. I am sure you could find one if you look. It was too much trouble for me. One thing I would highly recommend against is the demo or floor model from anywhere.

D70 basically becomes a D70s with a firmware upgrade. Only real difference is D70s has a slightly larger LCD (2.00" vs 1.80").

D50 seems nice for the money. But personally the D70/s is a much better camera. Better kit lens, more features, faster, larger (fits my hands better), similar layout of controls of Nikons film cameras (especially having two control dials instead of one like the D50). I like have the ability to change many of the settings without having to use the menu.

Anyway, this is my opinion. You need to hold the camera and play with it before spending this kinda money.

K

I bought the D50 kit with a 512MB card and overnight shipping for $780. Go for it...

Most reactions

Back