NIYP?

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
Has anyone used or heard about the New York Institute of Photography program? I've been reading about it for a month or so. A friend of mine is doing it, she said she really is learning a lot.

It seems to cover all the bases, and that's what I'm looking for. I have seen similiar programs that are cheaper, but I'm not sure which to go with.

Or does anyone have a better online/correspondence course they could recommend?

Thanks ;)

I know that they have a good reputation. They have been at for a relatively long time. No doubt you will learn a lot.

Personally I am a little leery of correspondence courses. Of course I am not a very motivated person. Having class mates and professors shoot down my work, while defending myself helped immensely. Having fellow students in the same boat as you is arguably are strong learning tool. Certainly there are opportunities in Oregon?

I'd go with Craig.
I did a Photog Degree at a College - and I have taught lots of courses since - and it is so much less frustrating to not have to wait for the mail in order to get feedback.
But you have to do what suits you, so best of luck.
You can always use us in conjunction with it ;-)

Having class mates and professors shoot down my work, while defending myself helped immensely. Having fellow students in the same boat as you is arguably are strong learning tool.
and it is so much less frustrating to not have to wait for the mail in order to get feedback.
I agree. The reason why I opted for NYIP was that I wanted to get a feel of photography. So a four year degree course was out of question. But yes, I very much dislike the wait for the feedback. :)

craig said:
I know that they have a good reputation. They have been at for a relatively long time. No doubt you will learn a lot.

Personally I am a little leery of correspondence courses. Of course I am not a very motivated person. Having class mates and professors shoot down my work, while defending myself helped immensely. Having fellow students in the same boat as you is arguably are strong learning tool. Certainly there are opportunities in Oregon?

Oh I totally agree. I would LOVE to go to a 4 year college in photography, that would be my first pick for sure.

I already took the photography classes offered from my local community college, and I did learn a lot (mostly about the darkroom, which I loved). I have read books and have learned TONS from here, but I feel like my knowlede is still lacking.

If I wasn't married with a toddler I'd pack up my stuff and go to college for photography, but money and time constraints dictate that I do something else, so correspondence courses are really my only option, unless I want to try and continue to learn on my own.

I am doing school online for my BA, so I am pretty good at managing time and getting "assignments" in anyway. :)

Most reactions

Back