NJ Bear hunt, VERY controversial

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Rapala46, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Rapala46

Rapala46 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here we go everyone. I am a NJ resident, and I am also an avid hunter, and fisherman. So, if anyone has heard about the recent bear hunt in NJ, what are your thoughts? This is the second one if 35 years (i think) and it is raising voices everywhere. As you could probably guess, I am on the hunters side. Why would NJFGW have a bear hunt, if it were to hurt anything.

What really really gets me, are these....erhm...(i'll keep it civil), these "animal right's activists" that actually follow hunters into the woods, wearing BRIGHT orange T-shirts reading "Wounded Bear Rescue Squad". They also carried in first aid kits, saying that smaller hunters could be using smaller caliber firearms, therefore making it a bigger chance to wound bears. Well, if they had done their research they would know that everyone is using the SAME caliber shotguns. 20 guage and 12 guage. erg. They also said that if they were to find a bear, an animal contorl officer would be called in so that the bear could be healed, and rereleased.

sorry for the rant, what are your opinions?

here's some lniks for research if anyone is interested:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051207/NEWS01/512070322/1005

and the other side

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publi...calls_for_immediate_halt_to_nj_bear_hunt.html

2. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This won't last long!:lmao: :popcorn:

3. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If they can kill that many bears then there is an overpopulation of them. I don't think that people should "let them be" they become a hazard and they will run out of food eventually.(then become aggressive towards the people)

Or they will become malnourished and die anyways putting the bear to waste.

Those are my views on it... hunting isn't a bad thing, it's actually a good thing for the environment for the population to be managed "properly" That way the bears that are left will have more food and if they were managed correctly they will be stronger and have a better population the following year. :thumbup:

4. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Keep this thread civil, or I will lock. That is all.

5. LizM

LizM TPF Noob!

When the populations get like they are something has to be done. We have deer hunts down here in state parks - unfortunately the hunters keep going after trophys and its not thinning the herds too well. I hope it works better with the bears in NJ. The coyotes are already moving in to subdivisions in search of the deer here. There the bears are the predators so it is really important to deal with the problem before someone gets hurt.

6. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

Bears are scary, we should shoot them all

7. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

But on the other hand we need to balance nature and rexamine our anthopocentric view of nature

8. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

Now I understand why political discussion on the forum is bad, because there are different viewpoints and I would look stupid argueing with myself or other

:)

9. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    now swap bears with humans! ;)

10. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

It's pretty similar in the UK with foxhunting.

I live in Bromley, which is a London suburb (and a majorly popular area with foxes!) and everyone in the local area has a metropolitan attitude to hunting with dogs - it's unnecessarily cruel. However I also drink in country pubs where the attitude is exactly the opposite - foxes are vermin which damage their livelihood and hunting is an age-old tradition to be upheld as it benefits the community etc.

I'm pretty anti killing things for the sake of it, but population control can be vital as man damages local eco systems encouraging animals like foxes to breed (cos they eat our rubbish).

That said, running around the woods helping the bears when there's a posse out hunting them strikes me as a little pointless. I'd be more inclined to lobby govenment to ban unnecessary hunting rather than risk getting shot (or eaten by a bear) to make a point.

Ho hum, let's see where this one goes!! :popcorn:

11. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

First off, hunter here.

I didn't get what type of hunting was being allowed. One of the things in Michigan I disagree with is the hunting of bear with dogs. I don't see how shooting a treed bear is very sporting. But if there is evidence that the nuisance reports have increased along with the bear population, it is just a matter of time till the attacks on pets and kids start coming in. So a short controlled hunt is justified. And yes, many of the reasons are human related, but that is not going to change anytime soon.

12. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

I want to see the end result of an " activist " trying to bandage up a wounded bear.