No battery, small, camera for under 10,000'?

mpcookson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for advice on a 100% mechanical camera to use on airplanes under 10,000' when all electronic devices are supposed to be off.It's going to be single function, point it out the window, focus to infinity, stop down to f11-f16 (unless it's a night flight), mentally calculate shutter speed, snap off a picture or two.Any suggestions? I don't want to go with a disposable (which would be about the maximum size I would want to carry), so I'm looking for ideas. Ideally something that might still be easy to find, price not a major factor (but always a factor, no $2000 Lecia, this is a travel camera to use for a few minutes, my normal camera is a 5DMKII and I always have Canon s95 point-and-shoot in my briefcase), and something fairly reliable given its age and design.Thanks!

Nikon FM2 and Pentax K1000 have a mechanical shutter.
The only thing that is powered is the light meter.

There are a number of older camera's designed that way.

An all mechanical, no battery camera will necessarily use film, so I have moved your thread to the - Film Photography- A place for all lovers of analog photography! - section of the TPH forums.

Altitude is not a factor.

Be advised, the FAA is currently re-evaluating it's ludicrous rules about electronic devices being turned off during commercial aircraft take-offs and landings.

Why don't you use your regular camera? There is 0 evidence that electronics cause any kind of interference in airplanes. Generally, I carry my dslr on board and have never had a problem taking pics with my camera. Heck, never even had somebody ask me to turn it off or question me at all.

I think you are overthinking this. Just use your 5dmk11

An all mechanical, no battery camera will necessarily use film, so I have moved your thread to the - Film Photography- A place for all lovers of analog photography! - section of the TPH forums.

Altitude is not a factor.

Be advised, the FAA is currently re-evaluating it's ludicrous rules about electronic devices being turned off during commercial aircraft take-offs and landings.

As you pointed out yourself, digital is fine during these circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back