No call, no show

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So ... I have a shoot set up for two models, A and B, on 9/17. This is a paid commercial art shoot, clothes on, G-Rated. Both models new to me, I'm new to them.
  • I send a booking email 8/28 confirming the date, time, and address.
  • On 8/30 I send a follow-up email confirming the shoot date.
    • Model A responds on 8/31: Yes, we are good.
    • Model B responds on 8/30 (and I quote): "Yes, I have you confirmed for that date."
  • Day of the shoot arrives, shoot is at 1pm
    • Model A calls at 11 am and confirms, the door bell rings at 12:55. Model A is prepared and ready for work
    • Model B does not call, does not show. I try to Facebook message, but no response. NOTE: I later realized she had sent me her number, but did not notice it in her email.
  • We muddle through and I get a few art shots with Model A
Two days later I email Model B and try to find out what happened. Are you okay? Did I offend you in some way?

Model B's response is that s(he) is very very busy with school and work and all kinds of modeling gigs, and that since s(he) did not get a phone call within 48 hrs of the shoot, s(he) assumed there would not be one.

I am never at any point made aware of any you-gotta-call-2-days-before rule of this model's

Bottom line:

I have a hard time believing this is my fault. Have you ever dealt with anyone who because they didn't get a confirmation call 2 days prior, just assumes that everything's been called off? Is that really a thing?

I try and make it a habit to call and confirm 2-3 days ahead with new clients, but if someone is billing themselves as a professional and tells me that they have confirmed the date, I'd take that as good enough. Could you have done more? Sure. Were you obligated to? I don't think so.

I also think it's bogus that she's trying to pin this all on you. If I were her and hadn't heard from you but saw the date in my calendar, I would have called you to confirm. In general it sounds like she may have overbooked and chose you to flake out on.
With that said, I have made meetings several days to weeks to months in advance, and I always do a 24-hour confirmation with all parties in one great big group email.

IMO, you confirmed and then she blew you off but I think she forgot. I see this all the time.

Back when I was an assistant and there were budgets, the photographers always booked more talent than needed. the unforeseen benefit is that if one model is not bringing the magic or the art director wants a different look you can move to the next.

I've had so many assistants(from top schools) and talent(paid G-rated) flake on me at the last minute over the years I can understand why our clients/public don't take our industry seriously.

This summer, the talent budget was limited and the marketing person was too young for her job - I got burned again. It was my fault everything said hire extras, hire extras, nope. Had one talent flake leaving me with only three models and of course unbeknownst to me the VP was attending the shoot.

I think clients need to understand why we need backups, one element should not set back an entire production day. Our prices should not be seen as willy nilly grabs from mid-air but justified costs of doing productions.

Last edited:
If I don't hear from my model within 48 hours of a scheduled shoot I go find someone else or just laze about the house.

Flaky models are everywhere, usually paid ones not as much. Sorry but she's at fault here.

99% of models are nothing more than wannabe models ... I never give paid work to one that I haven't shot multiple times and know I can trust to show up

99% of models are nothing more than wannabe models ... I never give paid work to one that I haven't shot multiple times and know I can trust to show up
True, but in the context of fair play, the same can be said of photographers!

True, but in the context of fair play, the same can be said of photographers!

LOL True .. I have been contemplating re-branding myself as a portrait artist for that exact reason. So when people say "Oh you're a photographer too!! ( insinuating that they are one ) I can say laugh ... and say Hell no I'm not a photographer :345:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back