No desire to shoot a wedding ever again!

HAh!

No, we had the whole deal at home, no fuss, no hassle.

It wasn't my fault he tried to eat my face!

HAh!

No, we had the whole deal at home, no fuss, no hassle.

It wasn't my fault he tried to eat my face!

looks more like after a serious fight ;)

also if you still got 400 pics you done well.

how many did you contract for?

can we see some?

I will post a few in another thread probably when I finally start the processing.

I'm know I'm gonna get called crazy and maybe stupid for this, but we didn't have a contract. This was a friend of a friend who was planning a low-key church wedding without much money. We tentatively agreed on a pricetag of $300. I didn't feel comfortable charging more than that based on my level of experience. Well, a month or so before the wedding her fiance seriously hurt his back and was out of work. They asked me if they could pay me later.
Even though I could foresee the possibility of losing out on any money altogether, I still agreed to do it because I wanted the experience and a chance to build up my portfolio. Plus I was hopeful I would get some exposure for more business in the process. This was, of course, before I decided that I get hardly any enjoyment out of the whole process. I did have a few of the dating/engaged groomsmen and bridesmaids ask me for my contact info, though.

She left the amount of pictures to be taken up to me. She did have a list of different combinations, but I don't think we hit them all. The 400 or so that I think I'll end up with include shots from the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner and hair appointment as well as the usual wedding/reception shots.

IMO, weddings are something that are definitely a stretch for some people...i'm still trying to get used to them after shooting a dozen or so, but so far it's been a fun ride. If you continue to do them, or decide to study under someone or shoot as a second shooter (both are good ideas), try to relax and have fun with it. You'll have a few bad apples. Everyone does. But then you'll have a WONDERFUL wedding with very friendly clients and you'll like it all over again. If you do another one soon, strive for a slow, relaxed process and preparation. Plan out a schedule for the day with the bride (and perhaps her mother), and tell them to be ready for certain events earlier than you really think they need to. Arrive early, take test shots before they get there, just do whatever you can to take the stress off. It helps.

and if you're stuck in a situation where you were forced out of an opportunity, don't be hard on yourself. I've been in situations where I absolutely HAD to compromise on some shots (couldn't take the bridal party shots outdoor, for example), and while it was frustrating, I realized that there wasn't anything I could do about it and they wouldn't be disappointed with me as their photographer for not getting that.

I hope that helps ya :)

oh and what's this about photographers stopping at the bar at the reception? that's way out of line IMO. While it's important to relax, I think photographers might not take their 'duty' seriously enough (and clients too, with their photographers).

I'm along the same lines as Daniel (though not half as experienced). If you have your ducks in a row, are able to bend to the flow yet still not get swept away, you're good to go. It also isn't a sin to tell potential clients 'no'. Sometimes it is easier just to state you don't think you would be the best fit for their style and would gladly recommend another photographer.

IMO, weddings are something that are definitely a stretch for some people...i'm still trying to get used to them after shooting a dozen or so, but so far it's been a fun ride. If you continue to do them, or decide to study under someone or shoot as a second shooter (both are good ideas), try to relax and have fun with it. You'll have a few bad apples. Everyone does. But then you'll have a WONDERFUL wedding with very friendly clients and you'll like it all over again. If you do another one soon, strive for a slow, relaxed process and preparation. Plan out a schedule for the day with the bride (and perhaps her mother), and tell them to be ready for certain events earlier than you really think they need to. Arrive early, take test shots before they get there, just do whatever you can to take the stress off. It helps.

and if you're stuck in a situation where you were forced out of an opportunity, don't be hard on yourself. I've been in situations where I absolutely HAD to compromise on some shots (couldn't take the bridal party shots outdoor, for example), and while it was frustrating, I realized that there wasn't anything I could do about it and they wouldn't be disappointed with me as their photographer for not getting that.

I hope that helps ya :)

oh and what's this about photographers stopping at the bar at the reception? that's way out of line IMO. While it's important to relax, I think photographers might not take their 'duty' seriously enough (and clients too, with their photographers).

I agree. I did a few as the second shooter before I went solo...

But, I will have a few drinks if its a long wedding...like a 12 hour affair.

I agree. I did a few as the second shooter before I went solo...

But, I will have a few drinks if its a long wedding...like a 12 hour affair.

well like normal drinking (water or gatorade or something) i definitely encourage...you have to stay hydrated. but IMO the bubbly and other 'wedding drink' should be a strict no-no.

but...that's just me :)

I shot a ~15 hour multilocation wedding a little while back, and wasn't even going to stop and eat (at the reception) but the friend I was shooting with forced me to. He's on the board, actually...

I shot a ~15 hour multilocation wedding a little while back, and wasn't even going to stop and eat (at the reception) but the friend I was shooting with forced me to. He's on the board, actually...

The few times I've done weddings I've found it hard to make myself stop and get something to eat or drink. I feel like I'm missing something I should be taking a picture of the whole time.

You have to eat and drink (water or juice). Don't skip your meal. When the guests begin to eat take a few shots a have a bite!

The Bride/Groom will be fine without a bunch of photos of everyone stuffing their faces. Or take a second shooter and have them cover you.

I once did a wedding that only lasted a few hours so I didn't eat. But, for the most part, they expect to feed the photogs.

Just my opinion. Keep your blood sugar up. :coffee:

funny, I've never had a desire to shoot weddings at all. I would however shoot one for free if a friend wanted some shots and if I wasn't the main photographer, but rather a backup.

You have to eat and drink (water or juice). Don't skip your meal. When the guests begin to eat take a few shots a have a bite!

The Bride/Groom will be fine without a bunch of photos of everyone stuffing their faces. Or take a second shooter and have them cover you.

I once did a wedding that only lasted a few hours so I didn't eat. But, for the most part, they expect to feed the photogs.

Just my opinion. Keep your blood sugar up. :coffee:

yeah...this is something i've come to grips with. I've realized that I don't take pictures of people eating, so I end up standing there or improvising with detail shots of the cake or something. I'm going to start eating at the longer weddings, but it will be tough :)

I have the utmost respect for wedding photographers, too.

I have turned down 3 weddings and a bar mitzvah simply because I have no patience to deal with brides and mothers-of-brides etc!

My best friend's Dad has been a wedding photographer for nearly 40 years, so anytime I'm asked to do a wedding, I immediately refer them to him!

Shooting weddings is not for the faint of heart. I know some people who do this full-time and produce breath-taking results. And...I know a number of wedding photographers who have either an assistant or a second shooter. In fact, I would argue the most important competency for a good wedding photographer (above composition skills or photography ability) is...organization. And either you have it and have a gazillion checklists and a great sense of timing (so you do NOT run out of daylight) or you have an assistant with a checklist, shot sequence.

The best wedding photographers I know, that is pretty much what they do...it's 90% of their paying work.

People who think about doing wedding photography think it's all about shooting lovely, romantic portraits. It is not. It's about managing schedules, planning, being organized while surrounded by chaos and competing demands so you can still produce lovely, romantic portraits.

image.jpg

zombiethread.jpg

Never seen an 8-y.o. thread brought back to life.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back