No experience, no camera, but very curious

Rhino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Allo'!

This theme probably has a thread somewhere, but with >1000 pages of threads in the Beginners' Forum alone, I don't feel bad about possibly being redundant.

I have zero photography experience. I do not own a camera. But in my current internship, however, folks are always taking pictures for promotional material. I got to snap just a few pictures with a Canon 5D and I felt the electricity and excitement shoot through my body. I've never had anything more advanced than a 3MP Sony point and shoot. Now, I realize I was holding a Cadillac in the camera world. I can't afford one of those things, but I have caught myself looking at newegg.com and tigerdirect.com at different DSLR cameras.

Who am I kidding? I don't know what to look for, though.

So, let's keep this simple. I want to buy a DSLR. I'm the kind of person who skips the poor-quality entry level stuff, because if I end up loving photography, I want to know I've got a piece of hardware that is more than adequate and doesn't need upgrading for a while. I'm looking at a budget between $600-700 bucks, but that amount has to cover everything. I don't want to spend $699 then hear I need a $55 memory card, or some weird special adapter for my computer.

If you'd be so kind, take a moment and shove me in the right direction, please. I have a psychological attraction to Canon already, since I got to mess around with that 5D. But I'm not against another brand. Thanks in advance for any guidance or help you folks can lend!

-Rhino

I would look in pawnshops for a used Canon 30D, or 40D. Pretty simple, reliable cameras, available cheaply because they sold boatloads of them,and most Canon shooters who bought them traded up to the next higher megapixel model ASAP. I've seen quite a few 30D and 40D bodies with low,low miles on them!!!

Head to a camera shop, best buy, or something like that, and pick up a few of the entry level cameras. If you go to an actual camera shop, ask them what they recommend for a beginner. Here's popular recommendations from this site for entry level DSLRs:

Nikon 5100
Canon Rebel T3i

You can't really go wrong with either one of those. Go hold both. See how they feel, see how the buttons are placed. Performance wise, they're similar.

You can also go the used route. Look on eBay or Craigslist for Nikon d90, d80, d60. Or Canon 50d, 40d or something similar. There's a lot of options, but your best bet is to find something that works for you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you'll need more $$$$ than that if your going to skip the entry level stuff. Especially with lens.

How serious do you plan on getting with a camera? I bought a D5100 only to return it within 2 weeks to pick up a D7000. If you don't plan on getting elaborate, I would go with the Nikon D3100. If you are considering getting into it further than just taking pictures at a birthday party, you might want to look into the D90. I can't recommend the D5100 because of it's price. Without knowing you or what your intentions are now or will become, I say stay away from the D5100 until the price drops. I don't know anything about canons to recommend a model. All my research has been nikon based.

Edit: As far as what you will need, a kit will comes with everything you need besides a memory card. A memory card is roughly 25 dollars for a mid to high level 8gb memory card.

How serious do you plan on getting with a camera? I bought a D5100 only to return it within 2 weeks to pick up a D7000. If you don't plan on getting elaborate, I would go with the Nikon D3100. If you are considering getting into it further than just taking pictures at a birthday party, you might want to look into the D90. I can't recommend the D5100 because of it's price. Without knowing you or what your intentions are now or will become, I say stay away from the D5100 until the price drops. I don't know anything about canons to recommend a model. All my research has been nikon based.

D5100 and D90 are roughly the same price.

D5100 and D90 are roughly the same price.

Which is why I can't recommend it. The D90 is $50-$100 cheaper and is a better camera.

jake337 said:
you'll need more $$$$ than that if your going to skip the entry level stuff. Especially with lens.

Exactly what I was going to say. You can barely get entry level gear for the budget you stated.

On the plus side, entry level D-SLR's will do a great job. You could find a Nikon D40 use for like $200 and then spend the rest on the MOST important part.....LENSES!!

i use a sony a200 which you could get used for around $300 with a kit lens. not quite a cadillac like the 5d but it get the job done. plus eventually you could upgrade to zeiss lens.

Allo'!

This theme probably has a thread somewhere, but with >1000 pages of threads in the Beginners' Forum alone, I don't feel bad about possibly being redundant.

I have zero photography experience. I do not own a camera. But in my current internship, however, folks are always taking pictures for promotional material. I got to snap just a few pictures with a Canon 5D and I felt the electricity and excitement shoot through my body. I've never had anything more advanced than a 3MP Sony point and shoot. Now, I realize I was holding a Cadillac in the camera world. I can't afford one of those things, but I have caught myself looking at newegg.com and tigerdirect.com at different DSLR cameras.

Who am I kidding? I don't know what to look for, though.

So, let's keep this simple. I want to buy a DSLR. I'm the kind of person who skips the poor-quality entry level stuff, because if I end up loving photography, I want to know I've got a piece of hardware that is more than adequate and doesn't need upgrading for a while. I'm looking at a budget between $600-700 bucks, but that amount has to cover everything. I don't want to spend $699 then hear I need a $55 memory card, or some weird special adapter for my computer.

If you'd be so kind, take a moment and shove me in the right direction, please. I have a psychological attraction to Canon already, since I got to mess around with that 5D. But I'm not against another brand. Thanks in advance for any guidance or help you folks can lend!

-Rhino

As others have said, the two red items I marked above are NOT going to go together. The 5D and lens you were holding probably cost well over $2,000. $600-700 will not get you out of the "entry level stuff" in the world of DSLR's. If you are not willing to go to Craigslist or Ebay for a used setup you are not going to be going into the DSLR business. I have a Mid-level Entry level (if that makes sense) T3i and I have a little over $1200 invested. If you are going to be serious about skipping the entry level stuff then you are going to have to hold off and save up some more money. If you want to get started sooner you will have to go entry level used.

With that said I do NOT want to discourage you. From what I have seen on here and heard if you hold out and bide your time doing a LOT of research and searching you can buy an entry level setup and sell it for what you paid for it or even sell it for MORE when you decide to upgrade. That will require a lot of diligence on your behalf though.

While all of the advice given so far is spot on, here's something else to consider; If part of what you liked about the 5D was the feel, a Rebel or "baby Nikon" will be much smaller in your hands, as well as "plasticky", which they are. As Derrel recommended, a 30D or 50D will feel very similar to a 5D.

Champagne taste, beer budget...

You oughtta' be doing weddings by this autumn!!!

I hired a "beer budget" wedding photographer for mine.... pretty darn good given the circumstances. He was experienced and understood the limits of the equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back