I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, The NHL is officially done for this year. Not a surprise. I would have liked them to work things out for this year but I'd rather they strike up a deal that will allow teams like the Oilers to stay in business.

There is so much hockey to watch in local rinks here(Sault Ste Marie) that I havent missed the N.H.L.

Big Mike said:
Well, The NHL is officially done for this year. Not a surprise. I would have liked them to work things out for this year but I'd rather they strike up a deal that will allow teams like the Oilers to stay in business

I would hate to see any city lose a team over "greed".

What’s going to suck, is I was reading about if and when the new season starts...a majority of the Big Star players might not come back because they are just to old now. Can you imagine, planning on this being your final big bang..sigh its gona be a whole new game when it does come back.

I don't think I can survive another season gone.

Both sides are just too greedy in my opinion! I mean don't these players realize that they are getting paid to play a GAME! I mean, thats every little boys (and some girls) dream! To play sports for a living! I would honestly like to see something similar to that movie the replacements (with Keanu Reeves)... Let some people who don't care about moeny get in there any play. They play the game becuase the love the game, not the money! I'm getting tired of all pro sports. College Sports just seem to be so much better anyhow :)

/rant

Zach :D

Amen to that brother...

Although I can go either way... on one hand yeah I can see why they want a cap...I mean in a way it kinda sucks when one team can afford the talent when all the other teams get everything else. Doesn't make the game much fun to watch when your home town is losing all the time. Then you go dang it...thats a lada money..stop your cryin and play...

Going to the local rinks and watching some rerun games or College seems to satisfy for now :)

The Big star players can sit and rot for all I care. It's the players fault (led by Bob Goodenow) that this has gone on so long. They refuse to believe (or admit) that the league is loosing money and can't continue with the same system. The player salaries have been skyrocketing over the last 10 years while the revenues have not. How can the players justify making 60%-70% of what the team brings in? That's ridiculous. Their refusal to link their salaries to the the revenue is pure greed. If they think they are so good...why not get paid a portion of the money that comes in.

I'm all for replacement players if the NHLPA still refuses to open their eyes. The problem is that the teams will need to rebuild their fan base and that will be hard with minor league players. Although, I'd bet that once a few players cross the union to play...a flood of them will. It's only the few high paid jerks that think they are actually worth the money anyway.

This stinks. The NHL isn't in great shape right now and they may never recover from this. I miss hockey :(

I think they just need to rethink a lot of things...maybe taking some of the expansion teams and consolidate them. I mean you have hockey teams in places that are like Hockey what??? I feel that is where they are losing money. That and when is the last time you saw a TV ad for the game? most people don't watch what they don't understand. I go to games with my husband and we hear people explain the game to a newbie...and they are even explaining it wrong..lol...I feel if they put it out there more, change a few of the rules, stop spreading the league so thing they might have a chance at making things better.

Just my two cents.. :)

I definately agree they need to scale back the expansion. I don't understand why some towns have franchises. Denver is a town that definately loves hockey... Phoenix on the other hand......?!!?

I thought this was kind of funny

"Perhaps sports historians should have sensed in October that something would be amiss come Stanley Cup time. After all, that's when the season was supposed to begin — and also the month in which the Boston Red Sox (news) won the World Series (news - web sites).

The last time the Red Sox were baseball's champions, of course, was 1918, and the following spring there was no Stanley Cup. "

I still say that the only way to save hockey when it does come back (I've read stories about this stretching into 05-06 already) is to adopt a system similar to the European soccer leagues. There's a premier division and a series of tiered divisions beneath. At the end of the season, the top 4 teams from each division move up and the bottom 4 teams move down. With promotion at stake for the upper teams and relegation at stake for the lower teams, you're watching the entire tables, not just the top few teams. Plus, it gives small market teams a chance to compete and feel like they're actually a part of a professional sport instead of just 'feeder' teams for the big boys.

Help! Adopt A Hockey Player
These guys need our help!

click for full image

Hundreds of Professional Hockey players in our very own nation are going to be locked out, living at well below the seven-figure salary level. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a result of the upcoming lockout situation. But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (that's less than the cost of a large screen projection TV) you can help an NHL player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it's a start, and every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a hockey player it could mean the difference between spending the lockout golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, perhaps two months of gas money, but to a hockey player, $700 will partially replace his daily salary. Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a player to buy that home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio.

HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING? Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the lockout on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (for a signed photo, please include an additional $150). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING? Your NHL player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP! I would like to sponsor a locked out NHL player.
My preference is (check below):

[ ] Forward
[ ] Defenseman
[ ] Goaltender
[ ] Entire team (Please call our 900 number to ask for the cost of a
specific team-$10 per minute)
[ ] Jaromir Jagr (Higher cost: $32,000 per day)

Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per day for the duration of the lockout. Please send me a picture of the player I have sponsored, along with the gift memorabilia: a Jaromir Jagr 2001 Special Edition Income Statement and my very own Bob Goodenow pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $80 for hat).

Please note, all contributions in US funds only.

Your Name: _______________________

Telephone Number: _______________________

Account Number: _______________________ Exp.Date:_______

[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Other

Isn't it a little ironic that some of these players who say they can't work under a salary cap are doing just that while they play for other leagues at the moment. I hear Markus Naslund is making a paltry (by NHL terms) $20,000/month. A far cry from his prior gig.

Most reactions

Back