No / Little contrast in an image???....

That is a problem with artists. They think that throwing up on a canvas counts as art and then when no body likes it or offers critique they get defensive. It pains me to say this about my hobby but the nice-person : arsehole ratio in photography is horribly low. Ignore him and don't try to help him if he doesn't want any. I agree with you his shot looks like garbage, but if he likes it then so be it. He's only punishing other people he shows it to.

i can't really comment about him liking the "dust spots", but maybe that's how he likes his pictures. I don't like it like that, but whatever. I've noticed that I tend to like semi-flat contrast photos w/out a whole lot of saturation. To me they look fine but when I look at others photos they have more contrast and saturation than mine. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Of course he's posting for C&C and you're more than welcome to your opinion and he shouldn't post for it if he doesn't want critisized at all.

Honestly, it sounds to me like the dude was just avoiding dealing with the problems in his work. "I like the dust spots" totally sounds like someone who didn't even know what a dust spot is, scrambling to find some excuse to dodge the problem.

Not worth worrying about, as many said.

This is horrible, but...

Generally in life, I've found that unless people ASK for help and basically already know what the problem is but just can't figure out how to fix it, they won't accept help, so I generally don't offer. If I am stupid enough to offer, I do it very tentatively, probing gently to see how far the person wants me to take it and I back off instantly when I get even a scrap of kick-back. Some people have just too fragile of an ego to even remotely accept the possibility that whatever they did might be made better, and someone else may have the key to how.

In writing we say that reading your own handwriting is like smelling your own farts. Sometimes you like something just because you made it yourself, even if it stinks.

The image is difficult to see and not very interesting. The correction make the colors much prettier, but IMHO, a little gaudy. Your difference of opinion could be a matter of taste.

A lot of art is about following rules and breaking rules. It's hard to know when to do which. Sort of a battle between technique and creativity.

In any case, the way that he responded was disrespectful, and no, you did not deserve that. Reminds me of that fable about the boy who lets the wasp out of the jar and it stings him.

sarahashleyphotos, Unless they specifically asked for your opinion or CC, it was surely unwelcome and the reaction is quite normal. I am surprised that you were taken aback by it in the first place and also surprised that the reaction was not more of a "go mind your own business", which is what I would have no problems saying to anyone who gave unasked for CC. :D

I also don't like the attitude of "why don't people see it my way"... why do you even care what others think? That attitude is a waste of your time... time better spent improving your own skills. ;)

Most reactions

Back