No Love

You said there was a general disinterest in flower pictures? Maybe it's because they are possibly the most cliche thing that you could take pictures of. Been done thousands of times, and if you don't add any of your own flavor to the mix, people will find them rather bland.

I guess I didn't realize that every subject had to be unique to be appreciated. I don't see how anyone could consider flowers, which to me are one of the greatest natural beauties of the world, to be bland. And besides, I thought this was a place to learn, so I figure my pics are either technically perfect, or so flawed that they are hopeless. What really isn't cliche to take pictures of? Waterfalls, birds, landscapes, animals, barns, cemeteries? It's all been done before. What oh what would be considered worthy?

It's not that flower's are unappreciated, it's just the fact that, unless done in a different way, a picture of a flower will be posted 20 times a day and it gets old commenting on the same thing we just saw 10 times before. That said, I'll be doing some photographs of flowers when my wife gets the flower bed planted, but I'm gonna try and put some different twists on the pictures to make them interesting. I may or may not be successful.

That said, I'm not sure it has to do with your subject at all. Mediocre pictures (meaning not crap, but not breathtaking), don't seem to get a lot of recognition or response on TPF. I find that I myself fall into this category and
I have a very hard time getting responses to my threads as well. I just posted up some in a new thread this morning and it now has probably 50+ views without a single reply. I agree that it's discouraging and for this reason I consider not even posting pics anymore since they aren't well received.

And besides, I thought this was a place to learn, so I figure my pics are either technically perfect, or so flawed that they are hopeless.

Well if you want to take "technically" good pictures you may or may not ever take interesting photos. Photography to me is all about good timing and being creative with things. I'm tired of the whole "everything has been done" thing that people use as excuses for why their subject matter is lacking in interest. Flowers can be done cool, but snapshots of flowers aren't going to cut it around here. In the end, keep taking pictures of things you love. Don't take pictures for other people, take them for you.

I agree that it's discouraging and for this reason I consider not even posting pics anymore since they aren't well received.

I totally feel the same way. I've been hangin around here for a while and plenty of people discuss the technical aspects of a photo, what could and could not be improved, completely separate of the subject matter. I've seen pics I thought were so technically flawed that if the poster didn't see it, I don't think I could explain it... but I didn't think that my pics fell into the same category.

Well if you want to take "technically" good pictures you may or may not ever take interesting photos.

As far as wanting to take technically good pictures, this might be the first time I've seen anyone imply that being technically sound leaves you creatively void.

Flowers can be done cool, but snapshots of flowers aren't going to cut it around here.

Ok, so if you think my photos are snapshotty (whatever that means anyways, i mean, who is the observer to determine how much effort or thought was put in) then tell me how I could have made it better. Couldn't any photo that was taken without being planned be considered a snapshot? It seems to me any shot using natural light could be accused of being just a snapshot.

There is no wrong. There is no right. There is what you like. Unfortunately you seem to want to fit in.

I'm not sure that wanting to be acknowledged is the same as wanting to fit in.

I guess I should have given the whole "I'm a total noob, just started learning, looking for advice or validation" speech but I didn't.

Don't listen to these people. Take pictures of what you like and if people don't like them they should just mind their own business. BTW, I like the pics. Good luck with more.

lol, a whole thread created specifically for the purpose of discussing your other thread?:)

Couldn't any photo that was taken without being planned be considered a snapshot? It seems to me any shot using natural light could be accused of being just a snapshot.

These don't look to me like they were taken with natural light. They look like they were taken with your built-in flash. My biggest recommendation, is, don't use it. This is killing your shots and giving them that "snapshotty" look. You either need to get a tripod and get down at the flower's level, get a nice blurred background, or get an external flash and get it off the camera.

Yes, everything has been photographed at some point or another, but flowers happen to be one of the things most often photographed it seems, and you need to really plan your shot well IMO, otherwise it is "just another picture of a flower."

lol, a whole thread created specifically for the purpose of discussing your other thread?:)"

I know... a lil silly of me, but I was looking at the amount of traffic the general gallery was getting as opposed to the nature gallery, so i thought i may have better luck over here!

As I had said in my original post, I took these a long time ago. I got a new camera two or so months ago (still not a DSLR :(, but the most I could afford) and have started trying to get out of Auto. Looking back, I did use the flash on all shots. On the first 3 there was not much light so I had to, on the last two I liked the sparkle effect it made on the water drops.

Thanks for the comment!

I like the color contrast on the third one, makes it look 3D. Don't try to hard to take good pictures, just take pictures and play with some PP and the good ones will just happen. can't tell you how many crappy pics I have taken to get one or two decent ones and maybe one good one. Just have fun with it and learn as you go.

why dont u just upload the photos here instead of giving the link of it!

I like the color contrast on the third one, makes it look 3D. Don't try to hard to take good pictures, just take pictures and play with some PP and the good ones will just happen. can't tell you how many crappy pics I have taken to get one or two decent ones and maybe one good one. Just have fun with it and learn as you go.

Seriously, that is just in-experience talking. If you take your time to get quality pictures then you won't have 2 out of 50 shots that are good. You may only have 10 or 12 shots, but they will all be better shots if you take your time and don't just snap away like you are suggesting.

Out of all my shots, the best one's I've taken have been when I slow down and pay attention to what I'm shooting rather than just clicking away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back