No More Texting While Driving in NC

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And I"m appaled. Ok, that word is probably a little overboard but still. It's supposed to be super distracting but seriously?

Before I get someone saying about how all the accidents that texts cause, what about other accidents. Why does it have to be texting. It humors me to see the news showing young drivers on a road course talking on the phone or trying to text and hitting the cones.

Could I please get a lady to put on make-up and to the same test. What about a guy scarfing down a big taco. Also, I would like to see a mom with 3 kids in a mini van trying to tend to fussy kids on the same course?

Please tell me someone understand where I'm coming from. Yes I do text while driving. I also make phone calls too. I hate it that they have to punish everyone for the people who text and DO NOT PAY ATTENTION whatsoever.

I'm reminded of

Why does it have to be so dramatic? People are disctracted in SO many other ways while driving other than texting. So, as far as tomorrow goes, at least in North Carolina, there is not texting while driving.

I continued to watch the news and you can't even have a licence thing that surrounds the plate like a dealer would put on it.

If you do, it's a $100 fine. For the texting it is a $100 fine PLUS $120 court fines.

I'm a little bit on edge.

What is everyone else's thoughts

~Michael~

Last edited by a moderator:
Texting while driving is illegal here, too.

It's illegal in NC to have a license plate holder? :O

Long,long overdue. Texting while driving is one of the stupidest, most dangerous activities one can engage in while driving. It is especially bad with YOUNGER drivers, who are constantly texting. Inexperienced drivers need all the help they can get.

About two months ago, I was at a stop sign on a busy two-lane suburban feeder road with a 45 MPH posted speed limit, with a young woman behind me at the stop light. She was texting away throughout the light. The light turned green and I pulled away and went through the intersection and proceeded down the road. As I drove away, I glanced in my review mirror. The girl was still texting away and had failed to see the light turn green. Then I heard brakes, and a crashing sound. A small pickup truck rounded the curve and slammed right into the small car stopped at the light. I drove one block to the next intersection and turned around, and came back and parked at the plaza where the accident had occurred.

I ran up to the car and asked the girl if she was alright...she was, but the back end of her little Honda was crunched up royally. The front of the young man's Toyota 4x4 was smashed up badly, and the radiator had spilled antifreeze all over the place.

Guess what? The girl had a manual transmission car...the pickup's driver told me he came around the corner and was texting...he saw MY CAR proceed through the intersection and the light was green and he just figured both cars were moving. The girl behind me had a stick shift car, and had apparently taken her foot off the brake while waiting for the light...the driver told me he saw my car moving and he *assumed* the little car behind me was also moving...but, since he was texting, he was not paying full attention to his driving responsibilities. Two texters, causing a two-car collision in broad daylight! Classic example of meaningless communication and self-absorption leading to a two-car crash.

Within minutes a sheriff's deputy was on-scene, and both me and the two drivers involved were interviewed. I told the deputy that BOTH of of the drivers told me they had been texting when the crash occurred. He cited both drivers. Shows just how dangerous it is to text while driving. Driving is a privilege, and diverting one's attention to a 1x2 inch screen while piloting a two-ton vehicle at speeds of up to 65-70 miles an hour is just stupid. Heck, it's even dangerous if you're stopped at an intersection. I see LOADS of 20-somethings texting at every stop light.

A cell phone has a voice feature...texting while driving ought to be illegal in all 50 states.

They should just ban the use of cellphones while driving altogether, except for handsfree control.

Oh that would be great. I use my bluetooth ALL the time just for that purpose. Also, it's easier to answer a text than talking, stopping, opening messages, replying, then getting the phone back to the ear! :)

Texting while driving is illegal here, too.

It's illegal in NC to have a license plate holder? :O

I guess that's what you would call it. Check this out.

They call it a holder. Apparently, it makes it easier to run registration or something. Check out the video on the top right

~Michael~

I guess that's what you would call it. Check this out.

They call it a holder. Apparently, it makes it easier to run registration or something. Check out the video on the top right

~Michael~

Ahaha, they show December 1st being a Sunday. Fail.

Also, they should just change the license plate design. Here in Tennessee, the state name is at the top. If you watch that video, you'll notice that a lot of those license plate frames leave enough room at the top to make the NC plate's "First in Flight" clearly visible. I guess they're just too lazy =\

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your position. Clearly, the video you provided is in stark contrast and contrary to the beliefs you hold dear. How can you feel that your inalienable rights have been thwarted when this video shows, absolutely, the results of the operator of the vehicle is not paying attention to his/her duties?

The whole idea of hands-on phone conversations and particularly, texting while in the command of a motor vehicle is completely ludicrous.

Yes, of course, it's easy to become distracted. However, if a state (that I live in and love) has passed a legistative law that bans certain activities, which is a cause for a high number of traffic incidencies and fatalities to boot, who the **** am I to disagree (when I am in agreement)? If you are guilty of texting or hands on calling..... STOP..... PLEASE. I could be your next victim.

Trust me.... I certainly am not one to NOT question authority, but facts are facts and stupidity is stupidity. Consentrate on the task at hand, get home safe and then fire up a fat boy.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your position. Clearly, the video you provided is in stark contrast and contrary to the beliefs you hold dear. How can you feel that your inalienable rights have been thwarted when this video shows, absolutely, the results of the operator of the vehicle is not paying attention to his/her duties?

The whole idea of hands-on phone conversations and particularly, texting while in the command of a motor vehicle is completely ludicrous.

Yes, of course, it's easy to become distracted. However, if a state (that I live in and love) has passed a legistative law that bans certain activities, which is a cause for a high number of traffic incidencies and fatalities to boot, who the **** am I to disagree? If you are guilty of texting or hands on calling..... STOP..... PLEASE. I could be your next victim.

Trust me.... I certainly am not one to NOT question authority, but facts are facts and stupidity is stupidity. Consentrate on the task at hand, get home safe and then fire up a fat boy.

I can understand, completly, why they are doing it but it's being made such a big deal out of (reminds me of Tiger Woods "crash") it.

I'm sure people will continue to text while driving. The point I'm trying to make is, why was it a ban on texting and not someone putting make up on while driving, or eating while driving. Pretty soon, we won't be able to drive at all for fear of getting caught doing something against the law.

I also live in South Carolina but travel to NC sometimes and SC is about to follow suit with the same law. I think a "responsible" way is to pay attention. I don't want to argue how much concentration it takes, but that YouTube video show the girl NOT paying attention to the road for a couple of seconds. While it's a dramatization, some [teen] drivers still drive like this - drive and not pay attention for seconds at the time. If I can, I actually don't even read a message until at a stop light. I do actually compose a message, but I have both hands on the wheel and do not have to look at my phone.

~Michael~

Rhode Island just banned it as well. It had me so upset that I picked up my phone while driving to text a friend about it.:lol:

Bout time, wish they'd do that here!

When you're driving, DRIVE.

I don't understand why the new law is a problem. I view texting while driving as Russian roulette. It's only a matter of time until something happens. Same with seat belts. The big difference with texting is if you don't wear your seat belt, it doesn't affect me. However, if you are texting while driving, you may crash into me.

Let's assume you're the world's best texter/driver (the two hands on the wheel while texting and not looking at the phone is something I have to see, from a safe distance, that is). What you have to worry about is the 16 year old who can barely drive in the first place is also texting as you are about to cross the street and take a photo. Lights out.

Try not to think of how it inconveniences you as a driver, but how it makes you safer from other drivers.

Last edited:
What you have to sorry about is the 16 year old who can barely drive in the first place is also texting as you are about to cross the street and take a photo.

That's why we have this law now.

The biggest I personally have is why it is geared toward text messaging and the other examples I gave.

~Michael~

Doh! What you have to "sorry" about. I meant worry. I edited it.

Yeah, there are many reasons why people get distracted. This one is just new. Goodness knows I was a distraction to my mom when I was a kid. She perfected the reach back and slap without taking her eyes off the road.

Most reactions

Back