No way out!!

chris82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
shutterbugs.myfreeforum.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first crack at a night shot,bear in mind that im new to photography and that im just using a basic digital camera.

nowayout.jpg

I took this at 3:20 this morning while on a break in work.I walked around the yard looking for things to shoot,as you can see there wasent much interesting so I tried to be artsy.what do you think.
all criticism and comments welcome

i like it. i find it interesting to see the difference in glare/halo effects from good glass, to that of basic point and shoots, kind of cool.

some of the 2 element lenses on old disposables are awesome and fun.

i really like it. the bricks on the ground, the bricks on the wall, and then the bars and gate, along with the person in the shot, add lots to the photo. nice shot.

Congratulations on this one, Chris! I think you have earned yourself a nomination now! The tones in this one are really, really good!!!
Where did you place the camera?
What was your aperture and exposure?
You have such a nice, deep DOF, everything is really sharp, and the b+w suits this photo enormously.
There you go ... you pic will find yourself among the POTM-nominations now! :greenpbl: !!

STUNNING

much better than shots of Poppy :lol:

just think what you can do with a real camera when you get one !!

Wow,Thanks.After I took this shot I looked at it all morning and thought what a rubish shot,even after I converted it to b&w i wasent going to post it.Ive been spending the last few days looking for that perfect shot but never found it.I see(you get it?see!)now that while I was looking for the great shot I wasent actually shooting anything,I was trying to create a shot instead of taking the shots.lesson learned.I placed the camera on top of this big unit that draws the heat out of the store away from the freezers,It was the only thing available.As for aperture well I dont know what that is,and I do not have control of exposure on my camera.I took the shot a few times at diffrent settings,I tried the eluminated night scene setting but the lights were to bright and the whole shot looked to grainey.Then I tried the auto setting but it was to dark,so I ended up setting the camera to shoot landscapes and I turned the brightness levels down a few points.Is DOF the distance between the camera and the farthest object in the shot?and thanks for nominating me.:cheer:

DOF stands for depth of field and means the area within a photo where things are sharp (in focus). With a wide open aperture (the little hole inside your lens can open wide or become a very small hole, similar to the pupil of your eye that also adapts to different light situations by dilating or becoming small). In this photo things are sharp from foreground well into the background. I.e. almost everything is sharp = in focus. So I guess you had a small aperture.

That yard must have been pretty bright with all those lights there so you could get this shot with a small aperture ... you not knowing for how long your camera released (was open to let light in).

For a first try at night shots you did remarkably well. I quite like your B+W tones. The halo effect, allyway and the person makes the picture interesting without any distractions. Well done

Well, the information going with this photo say you were at f3.0 ... which is not particularly narrow ... I was surprised, actually, but then I don't know your camera brand. You exposed for 2 seconds. So the info says that comes with the picture...

Photobucket displays the EXIF-data of each photo you load into them - but I downloaded yours onto my computer and had ZoomBrowser show me the data that come with your camera. Now I no longer have that pic on my computer (I don't want to steal it!), it was only for me to see what data there are (and I cannot gather that from only just LOOKING at a picture! ;)).

Great job Chris. I like the person looking in the building.....you had a good eye on this one!!!!!

Most reactions

Back