No0b downtown pics, C&C por favor

shanemono4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Downtownflag01.jpg

favoritecity.jpg

my thoughts-

1 might be a tad noisy, I was driving and had to turn the ISO up to get a reasonable shutter speed.

LMK what you guys think

use the lowest ISO you can get. I always use a more open aperture to keep a low shutter speed and seem to get good results.

1 doesn't work for me because it looks like you just pointed the camera in the air and took whatever shot you got.

2 is always a crowd pleasing shot. I think it looks as though the shutter might have been open a little too long or the ISO was too high which caused the lights to all lose their sharpness. You're close!

Is that Salt Lake City? Where's the snow!?

Thanks!

Yes it's Salt Lake City. As for the snow... I'm not sure. It's been a rain/snow mix for the last week or so. The nasty inversion just cleared that's why I had to go snap a city picture haha. You're somewhat right on 1, I was just looking for photogenic things and the flag mixed with the building looked good to me, but it was super dark I had to use 800 ISO. I'm not sure why the lights in the 2nd aren't too sharp.....

You are on a tripod? no need to use ISO400. Go back and try it at ISO200. Try one shot with the lens wide open and one with it on say f10 and see which one is best and go from there. No need to ever bump your ISO on a tripod. ISO is helpful in speeding everything up to be able to shoot handheld, but when on a stationary object, you've got all day!

Yeah, I was using an aperture of f18 too so that's probably why I turned up the ISO, I had it lower but the ev meter was telling me I was still underexposed at 30 seconds..

using an aperture that closed will cost you some sharpness and the shutter will be open too long and the lights will start to blend together. You want the shutter to be open MUCH LESS than 30 seconds. I have taken similar shots at like 3 seconds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back