Nobody seems to be giving straight answers.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Bram, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alright my setup consists of: D40x, standard kit lens, 55-200mm VR, sb600 speedlight, and some other things. Now my real question is: would upgrading my D40x BODY ONLY to persay, a D3100 be that beneficial I mean the price it's going for on the nikon website for body only is $569.95 for BODY only. Would this be sucha huge upgrade from my D40x. Which would you prefer to upgrade to? Considering your working on a $11.50/h wage, full time. A straight honest answer from my point of view would be great. Thanks alot.

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

You may want to ask yourself what is the limitation of your current system. And that limitation(s) stop you from achieve the result you like to have.

For example.
    I would like to take closeup photos of an insect, but my current setup cannot do it.
    I would like to take low light photos, but the result were not good. Either the photos were blur or noisy.
    I would like to take photos of birds ... but the birds were too small in the photo.
    I would like to use the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens, but my camera do not have the in body AF motor drive pin.
    I would like to shoot multiple frames sports type photos, but my camera fps is not high enough.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    + 1 Dao. Why do you feel the need to upgrade.

4. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To me I feel personally that some pictures that look fantastic on the LCD screen of my camera, turn out a little pixxy when placed on the computer, I find maybe a better body would fix that since I have tweaked just about every single seting on my D40x which I have had now for abot 8 months. Not only do the photos look pixxy some are also.... I don't know, not as i pictured they would look like, It's hard to describe. Example: i'll try and explain. Me and my girlfriend went to the top of the mountain last weekend to watch the sunset. I had my camera with me so I trid out some shots. turned out great on the LCD screen took over 70. When I put them on the computer some looked fuzzy and so unreal. I was not pleased with this. Below in my sig you can see my full setup.

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The camera body is just about the least important aspect of your gear. There's always the chance that there is a problem with your gear, but it's highly unlikely. Post a couple of the images with which you have concern (including EXIF data) and perhaps we can offer some insight into possible causes.

6. mwcfarms

Photos OK to edit
    I checked out some of your pictures on Flickr and dont really see what you mean on pixxy. It might help if you post a specific example to illustrate what you mean.

7. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most people on here say that the body of the camera has nothing to do with your photos, wrong. Everybody on here says its all about your glass, all about your lenses. Also wrong. Your body has a huge impact on your photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Nailed it pretty much right ont he dot. I want to do some portraits and kind of get into that aspect of photography. I am a HUGE sports fanatic so I shoot as many sports as possible. I am also very interested in night photography but my photos do turn out a bit blurry and kind of noisy. My close-up semi macro shots are not focused in enough. and the more I crop the worse it gets.

9. mwcfarms

Photos OK to edit
    Well if you upgrade your body you will be able to push your ISO further with less noise, I believe having read reviews on the D40x. I'm not familiar with sports photography at all so cant comment there. Macro you need a 1:1 ratio lens which will definetely improve your pictures. Anyways Im sure the pro's will jump in here. On the flip side a faster lens with better low light capabilities on that body would probably work too. Its six of one, half a dozen of the other thing.

Side note though some of your pictures are very nice, not sure what you are not happy with.

10. SageMark

SageMark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot with an old Nikon D2h, 8fps. We went bowling the other day, and I can perfectly stop the ball traveling down the alley at any point I want. It's encridibly fast. Came with a 50mm 1.8, off Craigslist $400. If you know what to look for and are working minimum wage jobs, then look elsewhere than new.

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    No one can give you a straight answer because like most things...It depends.

Do you shoot RAW or JPEG?

JPEG converts the pixels of the image into MCU blocks (minimum coded units) typically 16 pixels an a side.

Most time people are seeing the edges of those blocks, not the actual pixels.

[​IMG]

12. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to get fuzzy shots too.
    [​IMG]

I found out that "I" was the problem, not the camera. :D

If the financial hit to upgrade doesn't interfere with other, more important obligations, why not?​