Nobody seems to be giving straight answers.

Well I'm new here as well and new to the photography world. But I just want to mention that shooting in Raw photo, there's a lot you can fix in PP that JPEG can't. Raw files will save all the data and none is lost while JPEG during compression will lose valuable data. Not to mention you can change exposure, lighting and etc right off the bat when your photo load in Photoshop that you can't do with JPEG file.

I've been using Photoshop CS4 and it's been pretty good to me. There's CS5 out now and the new Lightroom. Check it out.

Everytime I shoot in RAW I cannot see them on my computer for whatever reason, the thumbnails are blank and I cannot view them in any software I use. Why this is. I unfortunately do not know. So I shoot JPEG.
You need special software to open RAW files. There's a free patch from Nikon that allows you to view raw files on your computer, but you still won't be able to edit them.

ACTUALLY, there is a free software from Nikon that lets you edit them too. Nikon View NX2 and the newest version, NX2, actually allows a good bit of editing on the raw.

Derrel I have looked at faster lenses for sure it's a dream to own a 200mm 2.8 it really is but that lens goes for no less then $1500.00 used. Which I do not have at the moment so that's out of the question. I thank you both for your input.

You can start by replacing you current 18-55 for the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. both lenses are around $420 and perform well for the price.

and for photo editing, like it was said earlier by mwcfarms, download the trials for Lightroom and Photoshop Elements 8 from Adobe.

Also, to view raw files in Windows Photo Viewer you can use the code pack from Fast Picture Viewer.

Edit: Changed link for Fast Picture Viewer, current version is not free anymore, new link takes you to PC World where you can still download the free version.

Last edited:
Everytime I shoot in RAW I cannot see them on my computer for whatever reason, the thumbnails are blank and I cannot view them in any software I use. Why this is. I unfortunately do not know. So I shoot JPEG.
You need special software to open RAW files. There's a free patch from Nikon that allows you to view raw files on your computer, but you still won't be able to edit them.

ACTUALLY, there is a free software from Nikon that lets you edit them too. Nikon View NX2 and the newest version, NX2, actually allows a good bit of editing on the raw.

Oh, when I checked it out a few yrs ago, their software only allowed you to open raw files and save them as jpeg. They also had a paid version which could actually edit them.

I guess things change. Good to know tho :thumbup:

Thanks for the input guys i'll definately do more research on lenses and see what I can do to upgrade my glass for now. As per photo editing, i'll download lightroom and PS from adobe, and check it out. Also I may have to take a look at the vuewing programs. Thanks again.

Thank you Tirediron, I agree I mean currently I have on of the lowest known camera's on the block so to speak, a discontinued body, with some cool features for sure I mean, don't get me wrong I love the features that my little D40x has that's for sure but I mean going from a D40x to let's say a D200 thats a pretty extreme step don't you think ?

In terms of build-quality and feature set? Sure. In terms of image quality? Not so much. Remember to put things in perspective: How many orders of magnitude better is your D40x compared to the field camera Ansel Adams used to capture 'Half dome'? A good photographer can make good photographs with any camera. A bad photographer can't make a good capture with all the Hasselblad bodies and T* glass in the world!

Oh, when I checked it out a few yrs ago, their software only allowed you to open raw files and save them as jpeg. They also had a paid version which could actually edit them.

I guess things change. Good to know tho :thumbup:

Actually, no. ViewNX has always been able to do basic editing to the raw such as exposure adjustments, contrast, sharpening, white balance, etc....all the basics. CaptureNX just took it further with allowing selections and color control points, curves adjustments, etc.... But yeah, ViewNX has always been able to do basic editing. It is in a seperate tab though and you may not have known it was there at the time.

I didn't know much about photography back then, so I guess I missed it.

There were many reviews which were complaining about having to pay for Nikon software (when Canon was free) so I didn't bother to look through ViewNX too much, thinking that its useless.

View Nx is the free softward that comes bundled with most all Nikon camera purchases while Capture NX2 is the version trial for 2 months.

Kinda late now, but here's what I meant:

Nikon D40x (with 18-55mm lens) Digital camera reviews - CNET Reviews

The bad: Slow kit lenses; RAW editing software costs extra; controls can be awkward; occasionally slow to focus; no automatic sensor cleaning; RAW-plus-JPEG mode limited to basic instead of fine JPEG compression
Reviews like that lead me to believe that I couldn't edit raw files.

Unfortunately half of that is either a flat lie or irrelevant.

Slow kit lenses? Same exact "speed" of kit lenses as what comes with the Rebel XTI

RAW editing software costs extra? Nope...ViewNX (now View NX2) is 100% free and allows exposure adjustments, white balance, d lighting, sharpening, contrast, brightness, color booster, and many other functions all to be done to the Raw image.

Controls can be awkward? Yeah, to someone used to shooting canon. Just like riding a bike, once you learn your equipment, controlling it is very easy.

No automatic sensor cleaning. To my knowledge, no cameras had this when the D40 and D40x were introduced. XT/XTI didn't have it either to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong).

Raw+Jpg mode...I'll give you that...one annoyance with the camera...however did the XT/XTI have the option to do RAW + JPg Fine?

i went from a d60 to a d90 the d90 gave me SO MUCH more flexibility, i woulnt be able to pull quality image with the d60 like i do with the d90, a better body is a better body. /thread.
i upgraded because of the d60 limitation is iso, commander and focus motor. these were the main reasons that lead me to upgrade.

Kinda late now, but here's what I meant:

Nikon D40x (with 18-55mm lens) Digital camera reviews - CNET Reviews

The bad: Slow kit lenses; RAW editing software costs extra; controls can be awkward; occasionally slow to focus; no automatic sensor cleaning; RAW-plus-JPEG mode limited to basic instead of fine JPEG compression
Reviews like that lead me to believe that I couldn't edit raw files.

Unfortunately half of that is either a flat lie or irrelevant.

Slow kit lenses? Same exact "speed" of kit lenses as what comes with the Rebel XTI

RAW editing software costs extra? Nope...ViewNX (now View NX2) is 100% free and allows exposure adjustments, white balance, d lighting, sharpening, contrast, brightness, color booster, and many other functions all to be done to the Raw image.

Controls can be awkward? Yeah, to someone used to shooting canon. Just like riding a bike, once you learn your equipment, controlling it is very easy.

No automatic sensor cleaning. To my knowledge, no cameras had this when the D40 and D40x were introduced. XT/XTI didn't have it either to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong).

Raw+Jpg mode...I'll give you that...one annoyance with the camera...however did the XT/XTI have the option to do RAW + JPg Fine?

Yeah, don't get me wrong tho, I own the d40x and love it. I was just saying that articles like the one I quoted led me to believe that there is no way to edit RAW files for free when shooting with Nikon gear.

Are you fooking brain dead?

1/ There are rarely any straight answers in this business.

2/ As you so willingly tell us, you have the answers before anyone has much of a chance to give you any.

Get over yourself.

Most reactions

Back