NOCTURNAL aka NIGHT Photography

Chicago, IL:
Longexposuredowntownshotsepiawithbu.jpg

St. Charles, IL:
random011.jpg

There is quite a bit of post-processing going on here. Was going to trash the original image, but pulled something out of it.

does it have to be at night?

Totally had to register for this.

DSCF2284.jpg

IMG_0354croppedsmall.jpg

Colorado75small.jpg

IMG_0317_small.jpg

IMG_0322_small.jpg

Those are all of my attempts on this subject title.

There already existed a theme-thread on nighttime photography, so I merged the newly started one with the existing one.
Please make sure you thoroughly check the Index given (sticky!) for themes that are already there before you start a new theme thread.

Right, I used to have a collection of my own nighttime (or NOCTURNAL) photos on here, but the links were no longer working, so here is one of my earliest attempts at capturing light trails, which is no good really, but I was only trying:

AralROWbeiNacht.jpg

And another one with the Powershot (which means: taken in the pre-DSLR-times) on the tiny desk-tripod I have (which at the time was the ONLY tripod I had at all)

BahnhofROWbeiNacht_2.jpg

But the following three are newer ones, though they are no longer "new" in so far as I took them last year in December, two in Bremen...

Bremen-Weihnachtsmarkt.jpg

Bremen-Weihnachtsmarkt2.jpg

... and this one in Hamburg (it is a detail of the Town Hall at night):

HH_044_RathausDetail.jpg

Somewhere there ought to also be some more light trail photos, but I can't find them just now.

Ah, just found yet another one taken with the Powershot, however at times when I already HAD my 350D, but had not brought the big tripod, and the mini tripod does not carry the 350D, so it had to be the Powershot, and it was automatically this funny POV, very low:

brandenburgnacht.jpg

Not too hard to tell how many car passed while I took this photo, right ;) ;) ;).

Actually, upon looking through my CDs where I store older photos of mine, I found a good many other night photos, which I might feel tempted to upload again just for the fun of this very thread. We shall see.

Ah, and just one of the Hamburg Port pics from July 2006 which I have always liked quite a bit myself:

hhhafennacht.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, this revived "NOCTURNAL"-thread does not leave me alone. So I thought about WHEN I took photos at night, and remembered, hey: I took quite a few when in NYC and Washington DC last year in April, and why not undig those and revive those, too?

So here are quite a few now:

Guess where then :D

timessquare1.jpg

(Handheld pic with the Powershot - I was so rushed when I wanted to take these but DH was hungry and tired and had sore feet and whatnot... :roll: )

timessquare2.jpg

3.2 second exposure as opposed to...

timessquare3.jpg

... 1/13th exposure.

Last edited:
And more, no need to explain to any Americans what they show, is there?
Others may ask and I'll tell:

(All the following pics were taken between midnight and 2 in the early morning of 9 April 2006 during our big TPF Washington Meet-Up)

washdcnacht8.jpg

washdcnacht7.jpg

washdcnacht6.jpg

washdcnacht5.jpg

washdcnacht4.jpg

washdcnacht3.jpg

washdcnacht9.jpg

washdcnacht2.jpg

washdcnacht1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a pretty new photographer.......but I'm reallly diggn' this night photography thing....here's a few recent shots of mine, please share yours as well.............................

Picture021-1.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture015-2.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Please share your night shots here, I want to see what else is out there...........

l_f3c63ed9c09741b9535c9a3d5a3ec852.jpg

l_6590f66ef3e1b5b057678f917eb9765b.jpg

l_15eaa7a3b101852d83c3687a307ad58d.png

not that good with night subjects just yet but im getting there!

This theme has had its own thread for just about AGES (as you can see, its thread number is 5079, and look where we are now!!!), so I went through our INDEX, looked for the link, and merged the new with the old. OK?

Most reactions

Back