Noise reduction Rebel XS 1000D

Maewolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright i just now found out how to do continuous shooting on my camera which i was unable to do

THis is what i read, which helped,
Have you used the rest settings to standard? It might be that you have accidentally enabled some longer exposure noise reduction which is why your shots might be slowing down (even if the noise is not there the camera will still apply the effect if its told to).

However now I take my pictures...and there is alot more noise...how can I fix this? Original question that i had, which someone else posted was this

All of a sudden, my 1000D doesn't want to shoot 3fps anymore. If I hold the shutter button in, the fastest I get is 1fps.

but now i fixed that...and now there is alot of noise in my pictures...heh, hope this makes sense on how i need help to reduce noise but still have the continuous shooting... :)

Meagan

Welcome to the forum.

The main cause of digital noise is high ISO settings. So try to avoid shooting at high ISO if possible.

Another cause of noise is image manipulation, mainly brightening. So if your shots are darker than you want, and you use software to brighten them, that will really bright out the noise. So getting your exposure right, in the first place, can really help to control noise.

Big Mike is correct - your first line of defence is to ensure that your ISO is as low as possible whilst also ensuring that you expose the shot as perfectly as possible so that you do not have to add brightness in editing.

Furthermore remember that the long exposure noise reduction is just running a noise removal code over the photos during the camera's processing stage - you can do this yourself in editing your shot and there are a whole host of methods for doing this as well as programs on the market.

As a basic point I (At the moment) tend to just use photoshop elements and for noise reduction I do the following: from the top bar menu:
Filter - Noise - Reduce Noise; with the settings:
Strength 10
Preserve Details around 90-95% depending on the shot
Reduce Colour noise 25

If you want to go one stage further use the selection wand to select the background (out of focus) areas on the shot and apply more noise reduction to them alone, since it does not matter if they go soft, but it does matter on the main subject areas where lightly noise reduction (or even no noise reduction) is the prefered.

There are also addons/external programs like Noise Ninja and Neat Image which you can use - however to get the best out of them you do need to put some time into learning how they work and how best to use them.

Great, thank you for the help. Im currently teaching myself , so all the help i can get is great lol I will try the photoshop thing first, thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back