Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CGJ, Nov 2, 2009.

1. CGJ

CGJ TPF Noob!

Hello everyone! I’m so glad that I found this forum and wanted to introduce myself. Looking to get my first digital camera and heard that I should get something with a low ISO in order to reduce “noise.” My intention is to start selling my work on various websites and of course my own website. My question is this… What digital camera is best suited for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Christopher from Atlanta GA.

2. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ISO is just a camera setting. You can shoot high or low with just about any camera you would want to buy.

What kind of pictures do you like to take?

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The main thing to know about ISO and digital cameras and noise is that the higher the ISO setting, the more noise you will get. Different cameras give you more or less noise at various ISO levels. A cheap camera may show more noise at ISO 100, than a good camera at ISO 800.
    Typically you want to keep your ISO as low as possible, but turning it up can give you a faster shutter speed which can help to avoid blur...and blur is worse than noise in most cases.

One of the main factors in how a camera handles noise, is the physical size of the sensor. The bigger the better. This isn't the Mega Pixel count...too many Mega Pixels can lead to more noise. Also, the camera's processors play a factor (the technology is improving all the time).
    We can also do our best to reduce noise by keeping the ISO low (use a tripod to allow for longer shutter speeds) and Expose to the Right.
    THIS would be my first choice.
    Other Good options would be THIS or THIS.

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And out of curiousity, have you used any of these cameras?

skieur

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    One of the most afordable cameras,and one that has low noise across a broad ISO range is the original Canon EOS 5D, the 12.8 megapixel, full-frame model. This camera is available for around $1,000 used,and it puts low demands on the lenses used, is easy to carry, and works very well with Canon lenses, and also with adapters and Nikon or Pentax or Yashica/Contax lenses.

Nikon makes some superb wide-angle lenses that are better than Canon's wide angle prime lenses. Sorry, but it's true. Lens quality is a big factor in quality images. So is use of a tripod and good focusing and good camera technique.

A high-quality 5D image,shot with a *quality* lens, from a tripod-mounted camera, can be up-sampled quite well, negating the need for a $6995 to $8,000 high-rez Canon or Nikon D3x body. With the ultra-high MP counts in the 21 to 24.5 MP category, the slightest bit of camera shake, the slightest bit of missed focus, the slightest bit of subject motion blur, and all the extra MP goes right out the window.

12 to 13 megapixels on full frame is about the limit for hand-holdable pictures for many shooters. Camera stability, focus,and lack of vibration/movement begin to be *huge* factors at 12 to 13MP. You might just as well sink $500 into a tripod and head now, because without a quality tripod and head, your money just goes down the toilet above 12-13 MP.

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not yet ;)

7. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao:

8. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How much experience do you have as a photographer?

And, as a photographer, are you ready to begin selling your work?

Not intending to be a party pooper or anything, but there is a lot more to learning how to become a professional photographer than getting your first digital camera.

9. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats what I was thinking. I mean in almost the same breath the OP is stating they are picking up their first digital camera, and wanting to sell their work already. Yet not quite sure on what ISO sensitivity is or how it works.

To the OP..... Are you Rich? Money to Blow? This is what you should do, head to this website and start at the top of the page and work your way down based on what you can spend. Got money for the D3X, nab it, Maybe the D700, it's superb with low light and low noise...

I'm not going to lie, I'm a Nikon fan/supporter and only pay attention to their equipment so my input is biased.

10. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    But I am sure, you will, if you win the lottery,eh? :D

skieur

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd have to win it twice :D

12. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What's that saying, to "never use a psychic who doesn't win the lottery on a regular basis"

???