Noise with XTi v. XT

TWoods450

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
a couple years ago I had the Rebel XT and was satisfied with it. So when I had the chance to pick up an XTi last week I jumped on it (VERY CHEAP), but i'm really disapointed with all the noise that is introduced with higher ISO 800/1600. Is this normal with this camera? I don't remember there being this much noise in the XT.

I belive there was noise increase as the MP count went up with these cameras - remember they are Canon's beginner line and so the noise reduction is delibratly less than 1st class with them. I don't know how bad the increase in noise was -- all I can say is that I try to keep ISO 400 as my max ISO with my 400D - going to 800 only on the very odd occasion.

The XTi has the same size sensor as the XT, but more megapixels crammed into that space....so that might be a cause for increased noise. I don't know if the camera's processor was upgraded between the two.

Noise is largely a result of high ISO but it's also a result of underexposure and processing.

i'll post some samples when I get home tonight, i'm at work right now and the pics are all on my home computer.

I know not a great photo but the noise is evident.

IMG_4613.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back