Noise ?

Robbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've heard lots of people refer to 'noise'..

What's meant by this ?

:confused:

Basically noise is a grainy look.
almost looks speckled.

Noise tends to show up in digital photos that are underexposed, or taken at a high ISO.

wow good example Mike - was that taken with a phone camera or something?
I don't know...I found it with Google Images.
I would have posted a shot of mine...but I don't take noisy shots ;) :lol:

Thanks a lot guys

"NOISE" is actually not a good name for it. as it is an Absence of signal recorded on the sensor. The fuzz that has no real value in the sensor is called noise, Visually it equates quite well with the Grain pattern of fast films. And as such can be used to artistic effect.
If you set a high ISO and underexpose the image you will get a "Grainy" "Reportage" style of image. Of course you could always take a good image and IF you feel the need , you can add grain / noise in Photoshop later....

Can someone please show me the difference between digital noise and film grain?

Thank you!

Try a Google image search for "film grain" and then do another one for "digital noise".

Yes, I absolutely see a difference. The main difference that I see, is that digital noise has two types of degradation...luminance noise (bright & dark spots) and also color noise (random spots of color (looks like red, purple & green mostly).

The film grain doesn't have nearly as much (or any) of the color noise issues. Also, it has a more organic feel to the pattern...it's not a uniform as the digital noise.

I'm realizing that
grain film doesn't have the color noise issues and it has a more organic feel to the pattern.

What do u mean "its not as uniform"?

What do u mean "its not as uniform"?
Film grain tends to have some spots that are larger, some that are smaller. A little more dense here, a little less over there etc.

Digital noise is pretty much the same across the photo, especially areas of the same tone.

I've heard lots of people refer to 'noise'..

What's meant by this ?

:confused:
Electronic image noise.

There are several different types.

In digital photographs the most common cause of image noise is from the analog signal amplifiers on the image sensor chip. The heart of a digital camera, the image sensor, is a color blind (grayscale only) analog device, not a digital device.

Other types of image noise are Shot Noise, Anisotropic Noise and Quantization Noise - Image noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to know more, here are a couple of good PDF papers - http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adob...ly/prophotographer/pdfs/pscs3_renderprint.pdf

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adob...e/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back