NON DSLR Lenses

martins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ7 and loving it. I have found add on lenses on ebay that work with my camera, but i am wondering, are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300118273530&rd=1&rd=1

Also what about UV and polarized filters? What is the purpose of those?

I hope these are not dumb questions as I am a real newbie when it comes to more advanced photography.

Also, I am glad to be part of this community I just found :mrgreen:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I heard that those lenses can decrease the quality and light entering the lens. As for the filters, most people use UV filters just as lens protectors so it is a good idea to get one. The polarized is also a good filter to have because it can reduce glare and make colors deeper.

I got one of the .42x fisheye adapters from my kodak dx6490 off ebay last summer for $35.
Yes it does degrade image quality a lilttle bit, more so at the sides of the pic.
but it was well worth the $35. and i use it all the time.
brings the 38mm kodak lens back to about 15mm.

now im jsut waiting for my new D50 to show up at my door.. any time.. lol
and it should bring the 18mm on that down to like 7.5mm :)

heres a few pics taken with it
well heres one without 1st. to compare any image quality loss i guess
front_row_seating_by_Coop81.jpg

and some with

Carousel_by_Coop81.jpg

niagara_falls_1_by_Coop81.jpg

then i bought the program pt lens to correct the fisheye distortion

so heres them taken with the add on lens

niagara_falls_2_by_Coop81.jpg

picture114gp0.jpg

stream_colour_by_Coop81.jpg

Sunset_oct5th2006_3_by_Coop81.jpg

sunset_on_lake_ontario_4_by_Coop81.jpg

100b2150si8.jpg

Picture-072.jpg

Picture-003.jpg

Picture-018-2.jpg

Add-on wide-angle and telephoto lenses tend to soften the image, and they also add a lot of chromatic effects. (The odd purple and blue colors at the edges of objects and elsewhere.) It's also hard to control flare with the wide angle lenses. For the average user, these lenses are perfectly acceptable for the most part.

And for those of us who like wonky lens defects, they are even more fun...

from what i observed the big problem with add-on lenses is that their marginal resolution is pretty crappy (the image loses quality rapidly from the cneter to the margins). and, as Mad_Gnome said, they induce a lot of colour aberation, but that is software correctable, at least up to some point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back