Non-Nikon brand batteries

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by molested_cow, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Waldo32487

Waldo32487 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I havnt had any problems with no name batteries....
    Just found the one with good reviews on amazon

2. shadowlands

shadowlands No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use XIT batteries and I love 'em...

3. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I have mixed feelings on third party batteries. I don't want to chance anything, so I always buy OEM. They also seem to last longer in cold weather and have much longer lifespan. Sure, they are more expensive..but you wont have to replace that one for a long time.

4. SnappingShark

SnappingShark Always learning. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For me, I've always gone with 3rd party - Wasabi Power batteries. I find they've lasted me as long, possibly even longer than OEM.

5. sandollars

sandollars No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No mixed feelings here. I always use OEM. I have too much dough tied up in my equipment to risk it just to save a few bucks. Just saying...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jim Walczak

Jim Walczak No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    At the moment I only have the OEM battery for my D90...haven't really needed a second or a replacement as the battery seems to hold up well all day. That said, when I was still shooting Canon, I did actually have a number of spare batteries for my old XT...I had 2 OEM and 3 no-name Ebay specials that only cost me a few bucks each. As far as performance goes, the 3rd party batteries compared well to the OEM's...not much difference between how long either held a change. Longevity on the other hand...both of the OEM's died after a few years and would no longer hold a charge, but 2 of the 3 knock offs still worked fine as of two years ago when my wife used the camera for one of her school projects.

So that said, -if- I only needed one battery...either a spare or a replacement, I might go OEM, particularly if I could find used or refurbished, however because of the ridiculous cost, if for some reason I needed more than one (say I start shooting a lot more video with my D90), then I'd likely go 3rd party instead.

Just my $.02 worth.

7. Mr.Photo

Mr.Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a bit mixed on the OEM vs 3rd party batteries. My D3100 has nothing but genuine Nikon EN-EL14 batteries. One is the original battery that came with the camera back in late 2010, and the second is about 6 months newer than that one. Both have been going strong with heavy use for the past 4+years and only now are starting to show minimal signs of not holding as good of a charge as they used to.

On the other hand my D7000 has had issues from the start with the EN-EL15 batteries. My original one that came with the camera went from 0 straight to 3 on the battery life scale within 10 months of buying the camera. Soon after that happened I picked up a 3rd party battery from my local shop. That battery seemed to hold a charge longer than the original Nikon battery ever did. I used that 3rd party battery for a year and a half with no issues until suddenly one day it just stopped working. Neither the camera or the charger would recognize the battery. The battery only had a 1 year warranty, but I contacted the place I bought the battery from anyways to let them know. They then contacted the manufacturer who decided to give me a brand new battery despite the fact it was over 6 months out of warranty. I recently purchased another Nikon EN-EL15 battery about 5-6 months ago, and that battery has jumped from 0-2 within that short period of time. This newer Nikon battery also will not hold a charge nearly as long as the replacement 3rd party battery does.

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    My D2x, which I bought May 3, 2005 still has the ORIGINAL battery. I only have one, single battery for the camera. It is now ten full years old. Plus three days shy of another five months tacked on to those ten years. Take a look at where this battery is in its life cycle--after basically, ten and a half years. The battery has sat around for about 30 days since being charged, and is at 81% charge.

There is no way in hell that any cheap made in China aftermarket battery can compete with Nikon's original batteries.

D2x battery meter 2015_0930.jpg

9. Mr.Photo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really? Read my post just above yours regarding the OEM Nikon EN-EL15 batteries in my D7000.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    You probably got a counterfeit Nikon battery. There are loads of fake batteries being sold these days by unscrupulous"dealers". Last week on-line, I took Canon USA's multi-question quiz on how to identify fake batteries, fake flashes, and fake Canon accessories. Same goes for fake memory cards--there are many,many good looking fakes being sold, with pretty accurate looking labels. There are plenty of dealers looking to make higher profits, and buying their merchandise from low-ball wholesalers.

A battery that the charger cannot recognize is a good sign that the battery is a counterfeit. Nikon's chargers recognize genuine batteries, and apply pretty sophisticated charging and life-cycle monitoring to them; this is a key area where the counterfeit batteries fall flat. Nikon has also updated firmware in some of its newer cameras so that third-party batteries are deliberately not recognized.

That said, Nikon also did a recall of some lots of batteries, with batteries for your D7000 battery among them! Even though there were only 7 (seven) confirmed battery short-outs world-wide, Nikon recalled batches of their product, in two lots, E and F.Service Advisory

Again...where one buys products from has some bearing on whether there is a likely chance of getting counterfeit merchandise. Here's Canon USA's official page on this:

Canon U.S.A. : About Counterfeits: Understanding the Problem

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  11. Mr.Photo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do not just assume that since I'm having an issue that I know nothing about counterfeit batteries. I assure you that both of my OEM batteries are genuine, and I also know of the recall on these particular batteries as I've researched this issue. Neither of my two OEM batteries are within the recall lot, but obviously still suffer from some sort of issue. Nikon has in the past had issues with certain batteries not living up to the advertised specs. You may already know this, but Nikon as well as most other manufactures do not produce their own batteries. They are purchased from a 3rd party supplier that builds them to Nikon's specifications.

While I'm usually one of the first to recommend OEM batteries because of the likely chance that you will get a bad one, when I go to replace my next Nikon battery I will be looking at other options other than the Nikon brand battery. If you do the proper research you will find batteries that will work just as well as (or better) than the original Nikon ones. I'm very reluctant to take a chance on spending a rather inflated price on another OEM battery when I've had two in a row that have given me issues. I will be looking at some other options I think this time around.

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Here is the latest Nikon support page that I could locate on counterfeit batteries and chargers, after a 30-second Google search.Counterfeit batteries and accessories

Looks to me like Nikon Asia is aware of 14 different counterfeit lithium-ion battery models and variants, and four counterfeit battery chargers, two counterfeit AC adapters, three counterfeit battery grips, and one counterfeit version of the ML-L3 wireless remote control.

New Nikon firmware released in late 2013 "bricked" a number of third-party batteries, rendering those batteries unusable.New Nikon Firmware Update Kills 3rd Party Battery Compatibility for Several Models

My genuine, original equipment battery has lasted TEN YEARS and five months, and is still showing that it has about 20% of its duty cycle ahead of it.

I would welcome the chance to read about even one single instance of an aftermarket battery giving ten years and five months of life.