Noob alert! Just saying hi and sharing some shots...

dreyko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys,
im somewhat new to photography but im in love with it, i currently use 2 35mm 1980's slr cameras.
to start off i'd like to get some opinions on a few shots. thes ones were done with my mothers cheap digital camera...
739c6567-1.jpg

3ee4017e.jpg

c14d8194.jpg

4e37a604.jpg

roses-softlight.jpg

as you can see i like vechicular photography, but i also have scores of photos on other subject matter and once i get them scanned in i will post those too.
thanks and let me know what you think and how i can improve my work.

is this in the wrong area? also what would be a good digital camera for around 200 at least 6mp and prefferably the same adjustment style as a film slr? by that i mean apature on the lense and f-stop on the body, as oppose to miles of menus to hunt through

I really like your last photo. Has a real romantic feel to it! Welcome to TPF!!!!!

For 200$ US, you'll be very hard pressed to find a digital SLR, which is, in my opinion, what you should be getting if you are thinking of getting serious in photography. I don't know what used digital SLRs are going for now, but I doubt they go below 350$. You may be able to find a point-and-shoot with some control over aperture and film speed for that price, but the abilities of a point-and-shoot are no where near those of a digital SLR.

My advice to you is that if you already have two 35mm film SLRs, and if you have good lenses, then work with those until you'll be able to afford an entry level dSLR, which would cost somewhere around 400$ to 500$. Many good photographers work with 35mm SLRs their entire lives and come up with photographs that more than rival any taken with a dSLR.

Feel free to post here, but if you want more comments and more critiques, think about posting in one of the gallery subforums.

Heya dreyko, and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
For introductions we have the Welcome and Introductions Forum "in the basement", and for displaying photos for general comments and/or critique we have the various galleries. For you to get more replies I shall move this thread to the General Gallery. The Beginners' Place is more of a Q&A-Forum, see?

All phots are a compromise between what you want, and what is feasable . The best photos will be taken on a Large format camera, with some serious top of the range glass on the front, and something like Fuji Velvia stuck on the back. Obviously you can't do sport with a camera like this, And most of us couldn't afford it in the first place.
For the Moment film still has a slight lead in the quality stakes (as long as you can affored the lens fit to bring out that quality and detail). But digital is so fast comming up. A 10 mega pixel entry level camera is capable of using pro spec lenses and delivering results that would be virtually indistinguishable at A4 (10 X 8) size range.
But the operative word is virtually. If studied closely enough the film will still capture slightly more detail.
A 6 mega pixel camera will give you a good 10 X 8 print . But not as good as a slow film. so don't apologise for using film just keep saving you pennies until your savings rise, and the camera prices fall. The first DSLR I ever saw was a 1 .5 mega pixel Kodak that was on sale for over £10,000. Now a 10 Mega pixel will cost you £500. That's progress, and it is continuing. If your camera is a Nikon or Canon you can even soften the blow by using the same lenses with the digital body for a while.. But as any purist will tell you, the BIG advantage with digital is its convienience.

I remember a friend's Olympus Z5070 (something like that) sort of a upmarket point and shoot. It had a fixed 3 or 4x zoom that was 2.8 at it's short end. 5mp sensor - I think.The camera had a hot shoe, and a built in flash, and could be set to manual. Some of his photos using off camera flash were very nice. Focussing was AF. Something like that might be available second hand in your price range.

Most reactions

Back